Classifieds, a poll...

JoeA

New or old classifieds...  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye, i agree that you should have to re write your add every few weeks just to get it back near the top if you have dropped the price.

I'm not a fan of the fact some ads get "featured" and not others but i like fact it doesn't turn into a talking shop and people selling multiple items and u having to read through the whole thread to find out if someone has bought a specific item your after..

Edited by Dz1981

my gut answer is : the seller (less competition) but the downside is the buyer has less options to choose from.

I'm a fan of the software.

I think its probably a bit of these 3 things (i have taken this list from experience of working in an office environment and change is implemented)

• people not liking any change
  • not understanding how to use it
  • wanting the easy option

I'm going to stop hijacking the thread now :)

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing that's worse about the new system is that classifieds don't come up when you click "view new content". I know that you can tick the "classifieds" box on the left hand side but that means you have to actively go looking.

That the old classifieds were just threads, and came up under normal browsing, meant more people saw the ads IMO. I've bought things after seeing an advert even though I wasn't actively looking for that thing! But then the old system also attracted a lot of pointless comments too...

Apart from that I don't mind the new system. The time it takes to resize the photos is saved in the time spent waiting to upload the (now much smaller) files :)

only real problem i have with the new classifieds is i cant post anything off my phone because it needs a picture, and you cant upload one/ use photobucket etc to put one in :(

^ :lol:

The main thing that's worse about the new system is that classifieds don't come up when you click "view new content". I know that you can tick the "classifieds" box on the left hand side but that means you have to actively go looking.

That the old classifieds were just threads, and came up under normal browsing, meant more people saw the ads IMO. I've bought things after seeing an advert even though I wasn't actively looking for that thing! But then the old system also attracted a lot of pointless comments too...

Apart from that I don't mind the new system. The time it takes to resize the photos is saved in the time spent waiting to upload the (now much smaller) files :)

I concur.

• 2 weeks later...

Old ad's filled with crap and harder to moderate. They were free-er as they were in essence, just a thread, but that meant there was a lot of abuse.

If the old come back and the abuse continues, there will be a lot more "ban sticks" coming out.

We could use the old, but with a selling template as I have seen used on other forums.

Solution!

make me a mod! :D

serious post:

Could you mix both? old system for listing but add an image on the thread page?

i can see that working well. Its easier to scan through pictures when browsing rather than looking for titles. Especially when people dont list things correctly. eg. "iv got lots for sale" or "having a clearout" <----- thats nice for you but for someone looking to buy something its a s**t title for people to look at which becomes very annoying. Could add a rule that if the title does not clearly indicate whats for sale it gets deleted. eg. "2001 silver gti" or "Gti complete interior". If you couldnt add pictures and it did result in being the old system then the title idea would be a huge benefit.

Also add a structure, Item for sale, location, price, postage, px, condition. Add these as compulsary fields that have to be filled in with information or a simple no (px is a good example - PX: NO). again, if its not followed in the initial post then delete it.

Another good idea would be to keep the add simple. If the seller wants to add more detail then they should reply to their own thread. So for myself, if i was selling my car the first post must ONLY include item, location, price, postage (not relevant), px and condition (bad, ok, good, excellent - no more detail) and price. If i then wanted to add more pictures and detailed information i would be the first reply on the thread. This would save people the hassle of reading through a short book before they actually realise whats for sale and how much it is. If someone see's the first comment which contains all the detail and are interested they can go on to read more, if they arent interested they havnt wasted any time and can move onto the next advert.

does this make sense?

serious post:

Could you mix both? old system for listing but add an image on the thread page?

i can see that working well. Its easier to scan through pictures when browsing rather than looking for titles. Especially when people dont list things correctly. eg. "iv got lots for sale" or "having a clearout" <----- thats nice for you but for someone looking to buy something its a s**t title for people to look at which becomes very annoying. Could add a rule that if the title does not clearly indicate whats for sale it gets deleted. eg. "2001 silver gti" or "Gti complete interior". If you couldnt add pictures and it did result in being the old system then the title idea would be a huge benefit.

Also add a structure, Item for sale, location, price, postage, px, condition. Add these as compulsary fields that have to be filled in with information or a simple no (px is a good example - PX: NO). again, if its not followed in the initial post then delete it.

Another good idea would be to keep the add simple. If the seller wants to add more detail then they should reply to their own thread. So for myself, if i was selling my car the first post must ONLY include item, location, price, postage (not relevant), px and condition (bad, ok, good, excellent - no more detail) and price. If i then wanted to add more pictures and detailed information i would be the first reply on the thread. This would save people the hassle of reading through a short book before they actually realise whats for sale and how much it is. If someone see's the first comment which contains all the detail and are interested they can go on to read more, if they arent interested they havnt wasted any time and can move onto the next advert.

does this make sense?

No. :lol:

haha Huw read it again :lol:

Ray, it could work but might require setting a mod to specifically look at classifieds only. not sure if thats possible tho?