Fatttty's Ford Racing Puma #401 | Ford content... Front running gear refurb

fatttty

How's the FRP? :)

Good mate, getting there slowly. Got a fair bit done over the past month.

Had the majority of the front end parts blasted. They used a mixture of soda, vapor and glass depending on the material and the finish that I was going to apply. The subframe and wishbones were glass'd so the powdercoat would stick better, the torque link and alloy parts were vapor blasted and the manifold and steering rack were soda blasted.

IMG_2908_zpscfe67042.jpg

Parts came back from powdercoat, had the subframe and wishbones done in an OEM satin black and the ARB in anthracite grey to break things up a little. Also had the steering knuckle joints done in the grey to match.

IMG_2920_zps8cce1871.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsd3404dba.jpg

IMG_2922_zps80fc0256.jpg

IMG_2919_zpsfd4e706d.jpg

Parts that weren't powdercoated were given a coat of hiugh temp silber paint. Did the torque link, gear box mount and a bracket for the back of the engine.

IMG_2913_zpsb9c78cd0.jpg

Next up I had the front wheel bearings pressed in.

IMG_2923_zpse1cc6548.jpg

And the powerflex wishbone bushes front and rear.

IMG_2924_zps8a22c069.jpg

Finally I have split the drive shafts down, removed CV joints and boots (got new ones to rebuild)

IMG_2912_zps66fe9045.jpg

IMG_2911_zps972ad738.jpg

More to come :)

Alex

That high temp is almost certain to flake and burn off, unless you've managed to find some that is any good. After all your hard work, it would be worth you getting it ceramic coated, looks better and it lasts!

That high temp is almost certain to flake and burn off, unless you've managed to find some that is any good. After all your hard work, it would be worth you getting it ceramic coated, looks better and it lasts!

Ceramic is the method I wanted to use, just too expensive. I had this paint on the lower section of the mani for 8 months with no signs of wear so should be fine, will need to be careful refitting it though

So I picked my bolts and parts from the electroplaters yesterday. They did a top job as normal. I had spent about 3 hours cleaning them to ensure they would plate well and the finish would be good.

I had two batches done one in silver zinc (subframe, wishbone bolts etc) and another in yellow passivate for the smaller items, I like anything that's painted silver to be bolted with gold bolts to get a nice contrast and help break things up... I'm odd, I know!

Before -

IMG_2958_zpsf9313d64.jpg

And after -

IMG_2960_zpsfcf06ebd.jpg

IMG_2961_zps1b53c441.jpg

Picked up some more parts from the soda blasters last night, I think this is pretty much the last of my parts that needed stripping. Had the drive shafts, intermediate shaft, ABS rings, and a few power steering brackets done.
IMG_2968_zps45de48cf.jpg
IMG_2969_zps13b3d0ed.jpg
IMG_2970_zps23f17ca9.jpg
IMG_2971_zpsa1f3a161.jpg
Also had my hubs back from being chemiblacked, opted for this finish as it has similar characteristics to powdercoat but you don't need to worry about masking off the spine or bearing faces as the finish does not add nay thickness to the surface material.
Very OEM looking-
IMG_2965_zpsd8ed3abe.jpg
And lastly I had the final part I needed to rebuild the driveshafts, the intermediate drive shaft bearing. Genuine Ford, found one on eBay brand new for a 'reasonable' price:)
IMG_2967_zps8a64f1c0.jpg

Rebuild my hubs and steering knuckles last night. Really pleased with them, they look as good as new :D
DSC_0002_zps184ccd3d.jpg
DSC_0003_zpsb6eb2408.jpg
DSC_0004_zps9209794d.jpg

Small update, I picked up my drive shafts from the powder coaters yesterday. Really pleased with them they did a great job as expected.

For those that don't know the FRP had one blue drive shaft (for the drivers / off side) and one black (for the passenger / near side) not sure why but that's how they came so wanting to keep things original I did the same.

Drive shafts; one blue, one satin black-

DSC_0005_zps3e9bdd65.jpg

Intermediate shaft in satin black-

DSC_0008_zps4f250b3f.jpg

And a few power steering pipework brackets I had done-

DSC_0009_zps320b8f60.jpg

DSC_0010_zps17fb7408.jpg

Alex

Jesus this is just insanely good!!

It's like art work :wub:

Lol cheers guys, its very nearly ready to go back together still a few weeks off as I dont want to rush anything but things are coming together now :)

Alex

Today I rebuilt my drive shafts, really pleased with how they came out. Fitted new CV joints, boots and clips all round.

DSC_0011_zpsa3338b73.jpg

DSC_0012_zps4309769f.jpg

Also fitted the big bearing to the intermediate drive shaft and got it fitted back to the short shaft ready to go back on the car :)

DSC_0015_zpsa29a6b11.jpg

I saw another FRP on the road last week surprisingly as don't think I've seen one before.. not knowing anyway.

This is incredible, love the attention to detail & the touches to keep with the original styling.. honestly amazing!

I saw another FRP on the road last week surprisingly as don't think I've seen one before.. not knowing anyway.

This is incredible, love the attention to detail & the touches to keep with the original styling.. honestly amazing!

Cheers Ross :) they are rare to see on the road I've not seen one for ages. Can't wait to get mine back out on the roads in a few months time!

Little update :)

Finished the steering rack, got all the pipework refitted, fitted new rubber sleeves and clips and got it mounted back on to the front subframe.

DSC_0018_zps4419563c.jpg

Also fitted the ARB to the subframe, fitted with new powerflex bushes and new brackets and bolts.

DSC_0022_zpse070db4f.jpg

So everything is fitted to the subframe and basically it is ready to lift back into place, a job for the weekend hopefully.

DSC_0017_zpsdce258e5.jpg

Before I piece it all back together again I couldn't leave the back of the engine filthy so I gave it a good degreasing and clean with a variety of small brushes, and a quick coat of enamel engine paint, it needs a second coat but you get the idea :)

DSC_0021_zps3cee65b4.jpg

Alex

Put my gear linkage back together today, one less job to do. Linkages were painted gold and fitted with new bolts, also got a new sponge insulator thing too.
DSC_0031_zps338aa259.jpg
DSC_0028_zpsb15d20c2.jpg

So I managed to put the majority of the car back together today. Didn't take too many photos during but got a fair few once it was done.
Started by fitting the new ABS sensors to the hubs-
DSC_0033_zpsc19b8aa5.jpg
DSC_0034_zpsb249edf6.jpg
Got the last parts from out of my old room (car part storage room!) and checked what bolts they need.
Torque link bracket for the back of the gearbox-
DSC_0035_zpsdf505c0a.jpg
Bracket that holds the manifold heat shield to the back of the engine-
DSC_0036_zps1c76bd37.jpg
Fitted those-
DSC_0037_zps087dc7bf.jpg
Then fitted drivesahfts, knuckle joints and hubs-
DSC_0039_zpsc0639c5e.jpg
Fitted the wishbones back on the subframe so it was basically ready to lift into place-
DSC_0042_zpsee68a0c9.jpg
Forgot to bolt the steering column so had to take it off again to do this grrrrr!
Subframe fitted-
DSC_0053_zps8bdf9b15.jpg
Drop links done-
DSC_0056_zps115453da.jpg
DSC_0052_zps3e6c6883.jpg
And finally calipers and discs back on-
DSC_0058_zps68eeff4c.jpg
Later in the week I'll torque up the hub bolts, double check everything and get the car lifted higher to make fitting the manifold easier.
That's all for now :)
Alex