Fatttty's Ford Racing Puma #401 | Ford content... Front running gear refurb

fatttty

Ok, so a bit more progress. I picked up some parts that had been plated and got them fitted. Didn't get many photos but here a few I took.

Plated bolts for the starter motor and also some brackets that fit to the gearbox. I think they work well and helps break up the silver paint.

IMG_2620_zpsfa589a48.jpg

IMG_2622_zps28d7af96.jpg

Small bracket for the fuel line that I painted and had the bolts plated-

IMG_2618_zps0fcb5d46.jpg

And finally new radiator and air condenser ready to go on-

IMG_2621_zps1a56a6cb.jpg

I got the radiator and condenser on yesterday and put all the hoses back in place. Also cleaned and painted the radiator fan. Didn't get any photos though as it was dark when I had finished.

Will update in the next few days :)

Alex

This is just so nice, and the attention/time/money you have put into it, it has to be one of if not the best in the country....

I look forward to future updates :thumbup:

Thanks Saf, its come a long way in the 18 months I've owned it. Still lots to do though lol! Been speaking with my dad about removing the engine and gearbox next year, really go to town on it ;)

Alex

Might be just me, but all your pictures aren't showing :thumbdown:

You get limited bandwidth with Photobucket "free". I assume, he had so many views on his images it's been used up.

Alex, get a Flickr account.

Give it a couple of days and the band width will reset. Mine did it before!

Sorry guys bandwidth has exceeded.

Upgraded to an unlimited account but still not working at the moment. Hopefully will be sorted in the next few days.

Alex

Sorted my PB account :)

So last weekend was Ford Fair so the rush was on to get the car back in one piece and ready for the Concourse event that I had entered.

Few small additions I did to the car on the day before, nothing major but its all in the details.

I made copies of the original stickers that came on the various engine parts suc has the alternator, radiator, radiator fan and air conditioning pump. I knocked up the replica stickers in photoshop and sent the design to my friend at a sign writers who kindly printed them on soem OE looknig brushed alloy looking vinyl.

IMG_2629_zps705ffd56.jpg

I fitted the genuine original Ford Racing badges that I had lying around in my drawer for the past year. Here's the old vs. new. You can see how the red on the racing had faded over the years.

IMG_2631_zps59d0e0ec.jpg

Painted the manifodl with high temp enamel paint to make it tidier.

IMG_2634_zps98c036fd.jpg

Then the car was washed and given a quick pass with the machine polisher on the frotn wings, bonnet and bumper.

IMG_2636_zps11abbec4.jpg

Cracked the 3M blue tape out and went a little crazy ready for the drive down to Ford Fair lol!

IMG_2637_zpse90ed05c.jpg

Had a great day and the car went down really well at Ford Fair. Also came away with Bets in Class at the concourse which was amazing!

IMG_2641_zps0df096a4.jpg

IMG_2642_zps6a8cacb5.jpg

IMG_2643_zps70ea6489.png

Thats all for now guys :)

Alex

:wub: Utterly amazing!

Thanks dude :D

Alex you have taking it to the next level even from your lupo standards well done !!

Thank you! I never expected to ever get it to this kind of level to be honest. But Im really happy with how its turning out, I still miss my Lupo though lol may buy another for my daily ;)

I know I'm going to miss my Lupo, I will have another one day! FRP's stunning, seems you keep achieving the impossible & improving on perfection ;)

I know I'm going to miss my Lupo, I will have another one day! FRP's stunning, seems you keep achieving the impossible & improving on perfection ;)

Cheers Koop, I keep finding things to improve on it. My list for this winter includes front subframe, powdercoated drive shafts, new CV boots and seals, strip and powder the front wish bones again and also refurb the front suspension / steering knuckles.

Also on the hunt for some original tyre inflation gas and some bits I'm missing from the boot trim :)

Alex

Quick one of the engine bay all back together and cleaned. This was after fitting new radiator, air condenser, upper air deflector, and new coolant (should be pink but I liked the blue to match the car)

IMG_2633_zps808d8285.jpg

So yesterday was a nice day so I thought I would take the puma out for a nice drive and get some photos with my new camera whilst I was at it.

My mate had previously been to this location, its just of the A38 on the way to Derby.

Photos are my first real attempt with a DSLR the camera is Nikon D3100 using the standard 18-55mm lens.

IMG_2651_zps23d667b9.png

IMG_2657_zpsc04eccff.png

IMG_2658_zps7d6d488c.png

IMG_2652_zpse1724814.png

IMG_2653_zpsf9b3a9b5.png

IMG_2649_zps6f82106b.png

IMG_2650_zps928ddbc1.png

IMG_2654_zps02418b02.png

IMG_2662_zps0061f08d.png

IMG_2661_zpsee62fc97.png

IMG_2660_zps43f3cf4f.png

IMG_2659_zps425bc0b7.png

IMG_2663_zpsb7ee4f4f.png

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Your puma is so clean! Really like these models, haven't seen one on the roads around me for a long time

Lovely...

Thank you :) they are a pretty rare sight to be fair

Anything new with FRP alex?

Nothing really exciting mate, she is currently SORN and in my dads garage again until next year. My lupo daily has just eaten its clutch so that's taken some of funds to get it sorted.

I've been buying little things like new old stock stickers and also the original tyre weld, original Ford first aid kit and towing hook that's missing from the boot.

Plans for the winter include, front end refurb' and rebuild to match the rear so that will consist of removing front sub frame, wishbones, driveshafts and steering knuckles these will all be powder coated. I'll fit new bearing and ABS sensors when it goes back together.

Will also remove the exhaust system and get the 4-branch manifold inspected, I'm sure its a mild steel original, which is fine if its not cracked or got any holes, if its good it will be repainted in high temp silver paint. If its a bit ropey it will be changed for a stainless one from Pumabuild to match the rest of the exhaust system.

• 2 months later...

OK so update finally! Made a good start on stripping the front end yesterday.

Removed the gearlink, torque mount, hubs, discs, pads, calipers, and wishbones.

Wishbones and torque link have been taken to have the bearings and bushes pressed out.

Later this week I will drop the subframe, ARB and steering rack. Then off to have everything soda blasted just before Xmas smile.gif

How it looked on Sunday (removed wishbones shortly after I took this)

IMG_2874_zpsaa736351.jpg

nice!

So last night I dropped the subframe and stripped off the ARB. Just the steering rack left to come off and then everything can go off to be soda blasted :)
Had the bushes pressed out the torque link and wishbones and the front hub bearings also removed ready.
IMG_2895_zpsd2845c9e.jpg
IMG_2897_zps623fd381.jpg
IMG_2898_zps0bf0e649.jpg
IMG_2896_zps300d80a1.jpg
Alex

• 5 weeks later...