How To: Weld (repair) a pedal box

i can take a photo of it, show where they break so other people can see. I have just fixed my old one. it looked like it was going to be a right ball ache to get the box out. would of had to drop the steering column. managed to repair it in place. I bolted the offending piece aswell, corner drill came in very handy there.

PS, new pedal boxes are changed. Design is identical but extra welding has been used so that theres a few nice long lines rather than 3 spots. Other thing is the parts guy at stealership told me not to weld box because it is designed to break off in a crash and if reinforced it wont. be this true or not i dont know. All i know is im going to adjust my clutch and hope things run smoothly again.

Thread tidied up for the archive - thanks to all who contributed.

Here are the photos of the new pedal box, just so every1 can see what it is that breaks.

First pic is the pedal box itself. This is what just over 30 quid gets you. Brake pedal mounts from steering column. throttle pedal mounts to piece at the right, there are hole for the bolt to go through that the pedal swings on. The clutch pedal doesn't actually attach to the pedal box, it uses the metal at the left side to pivot off. clutch pedal swings on same bolt as brake pedal and levers off the box.

100_0062.jpg

Second pic: This shows the bit that the clutch pedal pivots on. The hole at the top is where the cable comes though (has a grommet) and the flat area below with the little drill hole is where the pedal presses on.

100_0063.jpg

The third pic shows side on view of the piece the clutch pedal presses on, you can see two spot welds here, This is where my original sheared off.

100_0064.jpg

The fourth pics shows the same piece from behind, VW are now welding it in more places around the back to give it extra strength.there is a little bit of weld underneath as well.

100_0067.jpg

Because of the ball ache involved I didn't fit this new one, I repaired the old one. aswell as welding i have put 2 bolts through it. I managed to get a photo of it. if u work out where its all at you'll see there are two silver bolts in there now.

100_0069.jpg

I think I've covered it all properly. All being well I wont have any more trouble. fingers crossed.

Oh and this is my car, thought id throw in the pic 4 good measure.

DSCN0600.jpg

Edited by nfbr