Aviva Insurance charging an extra £3000 because of my name!!!

davidelliott294

Hi,

Infuriated. I ****ing **** you not. I will record my screen putting in the details if anyone wants pics or it never happened.

Just been helping my friend look for cheap insurance COMPLETELY LEGALLY. Went on to Aviva, put in all his details for a Polo 1.4 8v with modifications DECLARED.

Comes back at £1800, £178/month.

He hasn't even been driving a month.

I put in my details for the same car. The only thing I changed was my name and my parents names instead of his and it comes back £3000 more expensive!!!!!!

This came about because I was curious about how much they'd quote me on my GTI after seeing his quotation.

WTF?!

Edited by davidelliott294

your name must be one associated with the most crashed if it puts you up that much! unless his parents have been driving longer etc?

unlucky.

your name must be one associated with the most crashed if it puts you up that much! unless his parents have been driving longer etc?

unlucky.

No mines have been driving longer. Gonna phone them up and speak to an underwriter. Just pisses me off since I was paying stupid money for tpf&t for a 1litre when this is fully comp

I work for an insurance software house and I can guarantee you that your name on its own is not the reason you insurance went up.

Names are not a rating factor, address yes but not name.

When you changed your parent names (additional drivers) did you update there date of births? I noticed that once you parents turn a (certain age) they become a liability rather than a easy discount.

But each underwriter has its own cirtira and it changed every day, (thats why comparable web sites no longer guarantee you premium for more that a day)

Hoo! also forgot, aviva when doing a motor quote, will do a credit check on you to see if they can offer you payments via instalments, if you say you do not want to agree to a credit check then the premiums go way up as its more risk. If you have said Yes to a credit check then the fact you name is not on the records at your friends address will also cause the price increase.

hope this helps explain things a bit better.

Edited by silvio

I work for an insurance software house and I can guarantee you that your name on its own is not the reason you insurance went up.

Names are not a rating factor, address yes but not name.

When you changed your parent names (additional drivers) did you update there date of births? I noticed that once you parents turn a (certain age) they become a liability rather than a easy discount.

But each underwriter has its own cirtira and it changed every day, (thats why comparable web sites no longer guarantee you premium for more that a day)

Hoo! also forgot, aviva when doing a motor quote, will do a credit check on you to see if they can offer you payments via instalments, if you say you do not want to agree to a credit check then the premiums go way up as its more risk. If you have said Yes to a credit check then the fact you name is not on the records at your friends address will also cause the price increase.

hope this helps explain things a bit better.

I don't have a credit rating and neither does he so I don't see how that effects it at all. The quotation was done with Aviva as stated in the post and the title and I guarantee you that I only changed the names.

Just letting you know what things can affect it thats all, I deal with Aviva on a daily bases.

Just run through a quote my self, came back at £300+ but then changed my name and nothing else and if failed to quote me and price.

See below about the credit check.

Things you need to know

In order to assess the terms of the insurance contract or administer claims that arise, Aviva may need to collect data that the Data Protection Act defines as sensitive (such as medical conditions or criminal convictions). By proceeding with this application you will signify your consent to such information being processed by the insurer or its agents.

Also, by continuing you agree to the following:

• To make sure you get our best deal and to ascertain the most appropriate payment options for you and to detect and prevent fraud, we use public and personal data from a variety of sources, including credit reference and fraud prevention agencies, and other organisations. Our search will appear on your credit report whether or not your application proceeds. Find out more
  • Where we provide you with an insurance quotation and you choose not to proceed, we may pass your details, including any sensitive information, to a business partner so that they can contact you to try to fulfil your insurance needs.

Edited by silvio