Crankshaft position sensor

patroddy

Right guys tech help please.

i was driving lilly sunday and the EPC light and Check Engine light (lightning bolt) came on. The EPC light went off after 15 mins but the engine light didnt, it finnaly went off yesterday night. i took it to a family friend who runs a car garage and he hucked it up to the diagnostics today and go an error code PO321 / P0321 (Unsure if zero or "o") but he suggested waiting for the light to come back on, saying it wont be long again, and take it back to the garage i brought it from as i still have a months warenty left.

but just wondering if any of you could fill me with some info on P0321/PO321 as in whats wrong, price etc

Thanks

Patrick

16705/P0321/000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

Engine shuts off

Engine doesn't start

Speedometer inoperative

Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes

Possible Causes

Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose

Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

Special Notes

The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163).

When an engine will not start due to mechanical timing or spark/fuel related issues it is not uncommon to set G28/G40/G163 fault codes. The basics should be checked if this code returns after extended craning and a no-start with a new sensor installed.

Edited by Defcon5

I'm not sure Lupos have a 'limp mode' as such.

Did you notice a reduction in power?

Bear in mind that code could be an old uncleared one, and unrelated. See if the light comes back on and go from there - use the car through a range of rev and load scenarios over the next week or so

I'm not sure Lupos have a 'limp mode' as such.

Did you notice a reduction in power?

Bear in mind that code could be an old uncleared one, and unrelated. See if the light comes back on and go from there - use the car through a range of rev and load scenarios over the next week or so

i can guarantee it was not an old code as it was the only one on there, plus i saw the light come on myself ... and im sure they have a limp home mode ive heard of it

but thanks mate will try tomorrow im taking it to work again so ill be driving on motorway, town and country roads so it should get a good drive

Not sure about petrol Lupo's but TDI def have a limp mode, I'm hitting mine daily if I keep WOT uphill for more than 6 seconds due to a boost leak, it disables the turbo so its like driving 1.4 version of a SDI, but I quick flick of the ignition and it resets the limp mode back to normal running until next time. (I must get around to find the leak someday)