Central locking not working on spare key

MissCooks

I've lost my main car key and have to now use my spare. The central locking isn't working at all and i can't lock the car manually.

Is there something i need to do to make it work? i've tried changing the key battery but this doesn't solve the problem.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, T

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm i can't think of a reason for it not to work in the lock other than it's not the right key or a nackered lock lol. I take the key works in the ignition?

Vagcom is software that allows you to run diagnostics on a car (to find/clear fault codes). It can do a bunch of other stuff including relearning keys. I had the same problem you had (the remote locking not working not the manual lock thing) and it turned out the keys just had to be relearned. It doesn't take lobg but you need the software. If you don't know anyone VW can do it for you.

• 5 years later...

I've just had to change the battery in my key and since then I can't lock or unlock my car with the key, not sure if it's just the key as my unlock button doesn't click down as the lock button does? But if anyone could help on how to reprogrammed the key? I only have the one key but I do have access to a diagnostic kit at my college.