Online isn't always the cheapest (19 years old first year)

Ellzbmx

Hi, I passed my test 3 weeks ago and have been looking online at the ridiculous insurance prices some over £6000 I had decided I wanted a 1.0L Lupo or arosa so concentrated finding prices for those

Anyway after 2 weeks of searching insurance sites for quotes the lowest I had been quoted was £2104 third party fire and theft on my own with auto traders compare service.

Before paying I thought I'd try couple insurance brokers in town called whitehouse insurance and a plan insurance

A plan offered a quote for £2180 however whitehouse came back with £1760 with their young drivers policy (no tracker)

The point I'm trying to get across is that online isn't always the cheapest and it is worth spending 20 mins seeing what the local places can do for you

Hope this helps someone

Phoning up is always best as they can find a policy to suit your needs! However I'd recommend CIS young drivers policy although it does have a tracker, i started my policy at 17 and I'm paying £600 a year fully comp on my own policy!

Phoning up is always best as they can find a policy to suit your needs! However I'd recommend CIS young drivers policy although it does have a tracker, i started my policy at 17 and I'm paying £600 a year fully comp on my own policy!

That's insane, what does the tracker do, track speed or track times or both ?

That's insane, what does the tracker do, track speed or track times or both ?

It tracks both but you basically get a score from 1-5 every day for, speed, acceleration, cornering speed and time of day driven. You receive and average and every 3 months they review your scores (but you can see what they are daily online) and if there good enough you can get a discount on your policy. In my first 3 months they gave me £50 back for 'driving well' but to be honest I spank it as much as you can in a 1.0L.

I do 90 on the motorway, 40 on most town roads etc you just have to be careful not to do double the speed limit up to 40mph (so doing 80mph in a 40mph) as it's considered wreckless driving (as is 100mph +) and they say they will cancel your policy within seven days if you exceed certain thresholds.

I often drive at night for work, at least twice a week and have never had an issue.

People really bash 'trackers' but to be honest without it I wouldn't be on the road, it's saved me and I love it. It doesn't restrict my driving as much as you'd think and if anything it makes me a much safer driver which can only be a good thing because let's face it at 18 we all think we're the best drivers on the road. Plus my initial premium of £550 was not bad for a first years driving!

• 1 month later...

Got a phone call to say it has went up to 4,600 and i have to pay a 700 pound deposit!! So ive been looking all over phoning company's and online an my cheapest was a 470 deposit and 320 pounds per month!!! I find these prices shocking all because they dont want young drivers on the road!!! Sicking