Lupo / Arosa 1.4 & 1.6 16v `OBD-II` Serial Port Remaps!

Josh_PoloGTi

yep agree with you snoop. i'd rather pay the money and get a warranty from a reputable place than Dr Diy save a few quid .

good luck though guys if you know what your doing

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Jabba did Mrs B's?

Nope JBS did my wifes Lupo

Jabba do my ibiza mapping anf engine/turbo work and I sell REVO..

right on mongrel aint I laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

more of a pedigree i'd say!! :wink: laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

£330 seems a lot of money for a remap imo.

£200 would be a push for me, but at least thats explainable (is that even a real word? :? )

Sureing a after market could be bought and set up for that sort of price.

I cant see the standard ECU having enough adjustment?

You make installing an aftermarket ECU sound like fitting an induction kit! Just getting all the wiring right is a hell of a job if you don't know exactly what you're doing, and the possibilities for long or `short-term` damage by not doing a proper remap are significant.

For £330 you get a chip with a proven power output that can be installed in 30 minutes without any technical knowledge - and you'll still keep your VW warranty (ok, not if they find it's been chipped, but that's unlikely)

what whats the point in spending over £300 when your not getting any real benifits.

Alright, its nice and easy, but what can you do?

The rev limitter is still in place, its not for your car (May be that engine fair enough, but we all know, no engines the same)

I just think its expencive for what your getting.

do they do a custom job for individual engines aswell

I dont belive so mate.

I belive they will be paying to use a chip desgined in Germany.

They 'will' have been trained to install the chip and turn it on.

Then they put you on the RR and tell you how great it is.

Im not against them in any way.

For a quick fix, they're fantastic.

But the limit on the GTi is the rev limiter.

Without removing that, why bother with a remap?

If it cost £200 fitted, then I could see where my cash is going.

£300 is a piss take.

I don't thinkits too dear seeing as you would normally pay around £70 - £100 per bhp on NA cars .

BMC £150+ how Much HP? 2 -3 ?

Exhaust £250 - £350 HP ?

£350 for 10 - 13 Hp works out £27 - £35 /BHP Not bad in my book.

granted i didn't have before after graphs for my old gti - but a bmc and powerflow exhaust netted me 141 bhp - saying that standard is 125 then for £370 i got an extra 16bhp which works out at 23 squid per brake improvement.....

£350 for 10 - 13 Hp works out £27 - £35 /BHP Not bad in my book.

I dont think that `12-13bhp` from a chip is possable.

Wether its possable to find the loss power from a fresh ECU map I dont know, but this wouldn't really be a gain as such.

Zippy had a proppa remap done, and only increased the power `3-4bhp`

he had a great lump of touque but power wasn't a huge jump.

Heres the thread.

Finally got the car done today.

As expected, there was no dramatic increase in power - the curve stayed almost the same, with increases of `3-4` bhp in areas.

Peak Power is now 135.4 BHP @ 6500 RPM.

But, the torque is loads better at low revs - up around 10% at 2000 RPM.

I've added the Torque curve below, no scanner, so its from a phone photo, Picture39.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

i got an extra 16bhp which works out at 23 squid per brake improvement.....

How much of this power could be gained through vw under claiming, or RR inaccreatly?

We need some fitting days at a Rolling road place to test them.

Whos ordering a BMC soon :wink:

a piggy back ecu can never give 'proper' gains as it works within the boundaries of the original ecu - it can only do so much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye I know.

But this 'chip' we're dessussing here has to work within the same boundaries.

I just cant see how 10-13hp is possable from the stock ECU.

But this isnt a chip - its a serial port remap of the original chip. So it HAS to be within the same 'boundries'.

Some places will give high bhp's on the rollers (as we all know), but the place I had mine done at was a spanky new RR, and the way it was calibrated, they expected the standard power to be close to 124, or even below. So when it hit 131 they were stunned!

But remember - remaps will only improve the efficiency of the way your car burns the fuel & air it already gets - and as my standard car was already running better than expected I could only get small improvements.

I guess you could say I got an 11 BHP gain, or that it's possible.

But, I don't give a feck about getting bhp numbers to bull**** to people in the pub about. My car runs so much better, is sharper off the mark & instantly responsive after the remap.

I spent £400. And dont regret it at all.

However, if you want crap to brag about/bolt on noise increasers for shows, dont go for a re-map. Its only to improve the driving experience, which is what it's all about for me.

With the POLO remap they RR'd it before and after the remap, a 13BHP gain is really impressive.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For £300? Damned right!

If I hadnt tinkered with mine already I'd go for it! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

However, every engine performs differently, & I think I got as much out of mine as was possible really.

It's still a gamble, but one worth taking.