Polo Classic/estate (00-02) TDI engine?

James827

Anyone know if this would work in a Lupo?

like, I thought Lupos and 6N polos were pretty similar under the hood

I understand the Saloons are like 6K? or somthing, are they Wider? or just a LONG 6N?

But are the Mounts, Drive-shafts, Electronics all that different or is it a simple (Ish) swap?

just uncase theres any confusion i mean the 90BHP TDI engine.

trying to find some engine Codes now..

but i think it would be a pretty cool Install. Not as fast as a PD130,

But these engines are cheaper and easier to come by.

Something to think about anyway :)

James

Going off that guy from Holland (If i remember correctly), I would love to see somebody else try the manifold swap from the MK4 golf standard 90bhp TDI here. It's nice knowing it can be done fairly easy since the top end of the SDI and that TDI are just about a perfect fit (i think), but It would be great to see a build thread.

If i had the time and money, i would tinker on with a spare engine to see if it worked before taking the plunge.

• 3 weeks later...

if i had the time and money I would lol. not sure what else would be involved im sure you'd need to mess with the ECU and wiring so that it would boost at the right point and also control it, as you could bolt it on but might not do anything ahah, also you have to think about where to plumb in the Oil feeds for the turbo.

I was PMing the guy from Holland and after 100hp, you'd need to uprate clutch and strengthen gearbox apparently. but 90bhp would be petty cool, nice and torq-ey

Well it's not necessary when your only going for 100 bhp. I still have the stock gearbox and clutch (as there is nothing else to get for the SDI), but now I bought a PD engine for conversion and will sell the complete TSDI engine with gearbox. To bad your in Wales.

IMG-20120722-00005.jpg

IMG-20120722-00011.jpg

IMG-20120722-00010.jpg

Edited by ZX-Rowan

if u looking for diesel setup just go for the ARL with 150hp to start off with, its bolts into the lupo fairly easy, and wiring is straight forward if u have all parts from the donor car.. c mine below.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

ZX-Rowen, that's great. Looks from the photos like an incredibly neat install! A lot of room freed up by removing the SDI air intake.

So it would only take the turbo (nice and tidy down the back there), intake manifold (quite a bit shortened by the looks of it), and an altered downpipe off the standard MK4 TDI? No messing with any intercooler (just use what's already there)? And a just an aftermarket ECU to piggyback? Certainly doable. In terms of the donor parts, are you totally restricted to the earlier 90bhp? Just as the later standard mk4 TDIs had a bhp increase (I think 110bhp).

Fattasss, that's also a nice install (and definitely worth considering!) in terms of power/weight ratio have you had any remapping done either to increase speed or increase mpg? I only ask as missus' 110 GTTDI shifts quite a bit and still averages 55mpg, and i'm guessing your PD lump wouldn't need nearly as much grunt to shift the much lighter Lupo body, and could still have a lot of speed/torque while being really frugal?

Edited by Hazy

So it would only take the turbo (nice and tidy down the back there), intake manifold (quite a bit shortened by the looks of it), and an altered downpipe off the standard MK4 TDI? No messing with any intercooler (just use what's already there)? And a just an aftermarket ECU to piggyback? Certainly doable. In terms of the donor parts, are you totally restricted to the earlier 90bhp? Just as the later standard mk4 TDIs had a bhp increase (I think 110bhp).

Turbo, intake (shortened), downpipe and injectors off a mk4 TDI. There is no intercooler fitted an the lupo is custom mapped on the dyno.

Don't know if you are restricted to the early 90bhp as I didn't do the work. A diesel expert in Holland has made all this.

can i ask what you changed to convert it, Just injectors, Manifolds, downpipe? (and obviously fitted a tubo aha) was there any electrical work needed to get it running?

and while the ALD engine is tempting, i just cant afford to buy one as they hold there value so well, even as an engine!

one thing ive also realised is your master cylinder is on the Left side. not sure if that could be an issue..

Edited by James827

To fit a turbo you also need to make oil lines. Shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Don't know about the electrical work, but as far as I can see there is nothing done to the wiring.

Just buy my engine which is plug-and-play :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

To fit a turbo you also need to make oil lines. Shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Don't know about the electrical work, but as far as I can see there is nothing done to the wiring.

Just buy my engine which is plug-and-play :thumbup:

just out of interest how much and do you know any one who could ship,

Price will be around €500,- (400 pound). There are many companies that ship to England, if your serious I could inform about the price.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a long dead topic,but did anyone do anything ?Just getting ready to convert my 1.4 petrol to a 1.7 sdi (please i know its cheaper to buy one but i have access to all the bits).Would ideally like to go tdi as i have a 1z complete but this looks interesting with a turbo on the sdi....

i passed off my Lupo SDI, and discovered the glorious world of the MK2 golf about two years ago

however, i was dabbling around with diesels.

the turbo fitted to the above SDI, is the same as a AHU/1Z. you will need a mk4 tdi downpipe mind.. Actually... its the same turbo as a LUPO tdi. (manifold is different mind..)

so lupo tdi downpipe might be better?

im not familiar with the SDI block but a quick google.. tells me you can get a turbo oil feed from the top of the oil filter housing (currently blanked off)

as for oil return, there MIGHT be a blank plug on the back of the block (i know the MK4 SDI engine is like this - so is the 1.9 D i just cant get a good image on google of the AKU) in which case you can use the factory oil return a TDI would use, or if not, remove the sump and get an AN- fitting put on there near the top of the sump and then use AN fittings for oil to return straight to the sump.

inlet?

VW Transporter t25 1.9 TD inlet like shown above, and then some piping to the turbo!

as for fuelling? like said above 1.9 tdi injectors and MAYBE injection pump.

it would then need a real custom map!

of course, could fit a landrover 300TDI diesel pump and bin most of the wiring and tune it with screwdrivers. no idea on CEL lights, etc..

however again from above, you cannot go over about 98hp without your clutch taking a steaming hot one.

if somone were to give me a lupo SDI, i would happily try all this out and make a proper guide.(kinda why im hovering around this forum)

as for now..

i have no idea on fuel economy, i have no idea who could map this, i have no idea on uprated clutches, i have no idea on torque figures - top speeds etc, i have no idea on smoke amount.