First Cameras??

patroddy

ive always wanted a proper camera, asin not a point and shoot, but where to start :P i honestly no nothing about them, so any help would be great, i want something that's easyish to use, good pictures but with the most functionality as possible thanks people

My first camera was a Cannon 1100D, it's one of the cheaper DSLR in the cannon range. It can with a 18-55mm lens which is good starter lens, and I got it from Jessops and got a discount with Tesco club card vouchers!

It has enough settings to use for years and will give you really amazing pictures, especially on the fully auto mode. Then you can look into exposure and apitures etc... It even has HD (1080p) video recording!

Here's a link:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/canon-eos-1100d-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-zoom-lens-09819591-pdt.html

Joe

joe on the cannon one is the eye hole a real one or just an lcd screen?? my sisters got a fujifilm thing and it has an eye port thats just a smaller lcd screen that you look at?

ive got a canon 1000d which is pretty much the same as the 1100 except no video, got on ebrand new on ebay for around 220 quid with the 18-55mm lens, more than happy with it, great starter camera

Yes, in the Currys ad it does. You can buy a body only and add your own lens. So if you are searching the internet for a bargain, make sure the lens is included.

Someone had a £479 deal on a while back for the body, 2 lenses, memory card and a bag. Can't remember who though...

Doh! Currys: http://www.currys.co...CFdKBfAodJUrgrQ

Yes, it is a prper SLR with view through the lens.

I also have a Canon PowerShot S3-IS which is a bridge, it has the mini screen in the viewfinder, but I never had any issues with it. Still use it quite regularly too.

You should be able to pick up a used camera for a good price too.

yer the mini lcd in the viewer i dont like cos its laggy on the fujifilm so i gave up and used the larger lcd was easier

and thanks ray shall do some saving photography is something ive always wanted to get good at :) but no nothing about it

is there much difference between brands etc?? like i know canon and nikon are good? but can you achieve good quality snaps with smalled brands like fuji?? cos i dont want to spend £400 on a camera where i could only end up using the automatic option if i cant use it :P

• 6 months later...

Hint - Nikon don't make photocopiers ;)

Best way in is probably something like a second hand D90 (motor in the body so it can autofocus with older/cheaper lenses) and a kit from someone upgrading so include spare battery, decent zoom lens, bag, memory card, uv filter, etc. quite often show up on ebay. Currently some good new deals on Nikon with cash back offers too though remember you will probably need to buy all the extras that can add up pretty fast.

Idiots guide to the specific model is often out there that covers all the setings you need to know about and worth looking at.

Edited by Crusoe

I bought a D5100 as my first "proper" camera after my Canon G9 - but the D3200 seems to have loads of good features for a beginner too so that's worth considering. Picked Nikon over the Canon as it felt better, and images seemed cripser. Not much in it though, try both brands.

Re: the flip out screen - I *love* this feature and use it alot; great to get angles you can't normally get through the viewfinder.

I do miss my quick ISO adjustment dial I had on the G9 through...

Old thread but my 2 cents on the nikon V canon front.

Obviously everyone has there choices but for me having shot canon religiously for 5 years and having acess to top model Nikons in uni I've always thought the LCD screens on the canons we're better! Especially on the budget model nikons (D3000 etc), there's just a lack of detail in the Nikon LCD but I will admit I have no other problems with Nikon and I would shoot them but I think the availability of used Canon lenses is superior!

I bought a D5100 as my first "proper" camera after my Canon G9 - but the D3200 seems to have loads of good features for a beginner too so that's worth considering. Picked Nikon over the Canon as it felt better, and images seemed cripser. Not much in it though, try both brands.

Re: the flip out screen - I *love* this feature and use it alot; great to get angles you can't normally get through the viewfinder.

I do miss my quick ISO adjustment dial I had on the G9 through...

Thats the reason i bought the 5100. I had a flip out screen on my old Fuji bridge camera and loved it. It's so handy for the low down/overhead shots.

Edited by Huw Pugh