Which oil for Lupo 1.0?

snapper

I've looked on Castrol's website and it lists Castrol Edge 5W-30 and Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 as suitable engine oil for my 2002 1.0 E Lupo. It's previously been serviced by VW and the paperwork I have lists the engine oil used as VW Platinum Oil and Semi Synthetic Oil.

I've also used the oil recommendations on a couple of other websites and only the 5W-30 is given as a suitable oil. I can get the Magnatec 10W-40 (4 Litres) for around £16 from Euro Car Parts and the Edge 5W-30 (4 Litres) for around £29. Should I buy the more expensive oil? Is the 10W-40 actually ok? Which is better?

If it helps with a decision I'll be continuing to service the car and change the oil annually.

EDIT: After some searching I've also found this http://www.ebay.co.u...4#ht_977wt_1398 which I believe is supposed to be the oil VW use? Should I go with this?

EDIT 2: This http://ew5.earlweb.c...rch.php?site=44 recommends Quantum LongLife III 5W-30 and as an alternative Quantum Platinum 5W-40. Is long life worth it if I'm changing the oil every 12 months.

I'm pretty lost now, so any help would be massively appreciated :yes:

Edited by snapper

Of all those listed the EDGE 5w-30 is the 'best'.

Any of the viscosities you have listed are fine. Personally I use Mobil1 0w-40 in my Sport, and EDGE 5-30 in my Cooper S. I used Mobil1 in my GTI too.

• 1 year later...

I think 10w40 is okay in summer, but not so great in winter? I've heard it can get lumpy and can add extra engine wear.

Edited by Skezza