How to: Replace your aerial

I've been asked to do a how to on this so here goes...this is with an aftermarket shark fin aerial but it's one with the proper connector for the Lupo so it will be exactly the same for an OEM replacement.

For this you will need:

- A 22mm spanner

- An aerial

- About half an hour

That's it, dead easy. Also recommended (though I managed without) is a friend to help keep the new aerial straight while you bolt it on.

So many of you will find with 10 years + on your motor that the rubber seal on the aerial base has become faded, rotting or, like mine, completely rotten away

IMAG0885.jpg

:surprised: I know right? Never fear, Koop is here.

I've cheated a bit as my headliner's already out for retrim. You should be able to just peel the back of the headliner off to get at the bits you need for this. The headliner has 2 of these clips at the back:

IMAG0916.jpg

which clip into these holes at the back of the car -

- O/S

IMAG0878.jpg

- N/S

IMAG0879.jpg

You'll need to push up & forward on the back of the headliner (from the back with the boot open so it doesn't fall on your head) to pop the clips out, then peel the headliner down. You might need to take the C pillar trims out, they're just on push clips so a careful yanking will have them off. When you're done you should be able to see this lot:

IMAG0877.jpg

First job here is unclipping the connector, first pop this little black clip open

IMAG0881.jpg

Then pull back the bit of foam around the connector

IMAG0884.jpg

To unclip it pull back on the little foreskin (hur hur) with one hand

IMAG0887.jpg

and pull on the other connector with the other.

Now you can undo this nut with your 22mm spanner:

IMAG0880.jpg

The nut & the other bit which clamps onto the inside of the roof should come away together

IMAG0886.jpg

Then pull the aerial out from the top

IMAG0888.jpg

You'll probably find it's a bit minging under there

IMAG0889.jpg

so give it a good clean & polish

IMAG0890.jpg

That'll do pig :thumbup:

Now take your new aerial - here's mine cunningly disguised as an iron

IMAG0891.jpg

and remove the nut & clampy bit

IMAG0892.jpg

Now feed the cable & thread through the roof

IMAG0893.jpg

and get the aerial lined up nice & straight

IMAG0894.jpg

Stick your bits back on the thread from the inside (loosely)

IMAG0897.jpg

Here's where a buddy may come in handy, though I managed to reach round the tailgate to hold the aerial steady with one hand while tightening the nut by hand with the other. Then it was a case of tightening it up properly with the spanner - continually checking it hadn't become misaligned which if you have someone to hold it still you shouldn't have to do. I tightened it until I judged there to be a nice tight seal on the bottom of the aerial - I didn't want to do it too tight as I didn't want those teeth in the little clamp bit to dig into the roof too much.

Now the aerial's attached to the roof you can join up the connectors, just push til it clicks

IMAG0900.jpg

roll back the foam cover...

IMAG0901.jpg

...and clip it back in

IMAG0902.jpg

Then refit your headliner (mine's staying out for now)

...and finally step back & admire your snazzy new aerial

IMAG0909.jpg

• Like 3