Layla the Lupo

smnanthny

Hi everyone, I finally got around to making a 'My Ride' thread on a forum after about 3 years hah.

I'm still living off my student loan at the moment with plans to move out towards the end of the year so progress of this thread will be slow but hopefully I'll keep on top of it.

She's a 2000 1.4 Taffeta Green Lupo which my fiancé has decided to name Layla ^_^

Here's how she stands at the moment completely standard and unwashed..

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

As you might be able to see from the last photo, there's a knock in the rear bumper and the paint is very cracked so I would like to get it resprayed in the future.

There's also some pretty bad holograms all over the bonnet, so I'll be looking to get those machined out.

There's a spot of rust on the roof (below) and various other scratches and dings around the body work and doors but nothing too terrible that can't be easily sorted.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

I bought a few more cleaning supplies today - Megs Gold Class shampoo, Megs Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Megs NXT Glass Cleaner, a few more microfibres and applicator pads.

I didn't have time for a full wash today but I cleaned the roof to try out the clay as i've never used it before. I can see a lot of tar spots all over the car so there's plenty to take off, but I just concentrated on a third of the roof, all down one side. Here's the clay bar after 1/9th of the roof (a third of the area I was working on)

IMG_0092.jpg

Pretty nasty for such a small area. The car is 12 years old though and probably hasn't been clayed before so i'm not that surprised. I can tell i'll be going through both bars of clay when I get around to doing the whole body -.-

I also cleaned the wheels up quickly with some AG Degreaser and a new brush. Here's before with plenty of layers of brake dust..

IMG_0091.jpg

and after..

IMG_0093.jpg

Much better! I want to keep the current standard wheels on there as I quite like them and I don't want to spend a fortune on another set of wheels and tyres. The plan is to have these wheels refurbished and painted as close to the original paint as possible as there's a lovely flake in the silver paint.

I also has a quick blast of the glass cleaner on my drivers side window. Here's the dirt on the passenger side similar to how the drivers window was...

IMG_0094.jpg

and the drivers door after glass cleaner..

IMG_0095.jpg

Nice and clean!

So that's all I have for now. Hopefully I'll spend a day or two giving her a good clean after my exams are finished ^_^

Thanks for reading!

Edited by smnanthny

Gave her a quick wash while I had some spare time this afternoon

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

List of things to do:

Fit central locking kit

Receive bonnet bra

Pressed plates

Rear bumper respray?

Full clay

Edited by smnanthny

^what he said ;) Nice loop, love a bit o' taff green me :wub:

Another little update:

Received pressed plates but waiting on mounts before I put them on :)

IMG_0313.jpg

Also took the rear VW badge apart and sprayed the backing gloss black, probably going to spray a few trim bits in gloss black but not too OTT, maybe just the mirrors..

Shortly after lacquer..

IMG_0316.jpg

put back together with the chrome part..

IMG_0317.jpg

Pretty pleased with the finish tbh considering it's from rattle cans and it's only the second thing I've sprayed. Goes to show sanding goes a long way ^_^

Took delivery of some more detailing products today

Bilberry Wheel Cleaner

Gtechniq C1

Gtechniq C4

2 x Megs Lambswool Wash Mits

3 x CG Cotton Microfibres

So after my exams are done this week I plan on giving her a complete exterior detail :)

Yeah it looks so much better than the faded plastic ^_^ I need to spread out the process a bit though, because I primed yesterday and colour and clear coated today. Should have left it longer between applying the clear coat so I could have done a better job and wetsanded the final coats.

Yeah you can get away with colour coat on the same day as primer but you should leave it a day then wet & dry before you laquer - at least 1500 grit i'd say, mine's 2000 I think from halfrauds.

Yeah I used 1500 to sand the primer and last but one coat of colour to keep it smooth but I haven't touched the lacquer yet. Got 1500, 2000 and 2500 laying around so might get around to it eventually

My lupo looked exactly like this just 3 weeks ago hehe i wish i took more before pictures! if it hadn't of had so many dings i would have kept it green, as said before they do polish up nice and i like the fact their so underrated :) Badge looks mint!

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't really done anything in a while, just been finishing off Uni and getting her dirty ^_^

Finally got around to fitting the rear badge...

IMG_0333.jpg

Also got bored one day and sprayed the passenger mirror cover. It will need polishing as I over did the lacquer and it's a bit orange peel-y...

IMG_0335.jpg

Bought some number plate surrounds to go with the pressed plates. The plan is to stick the surrounds on instead of drilling more holes as the current screw are rusted to **** and will probably be drilled out, and I don't want to go making holes in the new plates...

IMG_0318.jpg

Decided to re-trim as much of the interior as I can with aubergine material, so did a tester on the passenger C pillar. The photo is a bit crap because the sun was bright out and wasn't shining inside the car :( Looks good in RL though...

IMG_0336.jpg

And finally, had my Silverstone F1 tickets through the post ^_^ Cant wait!

IMG_0312-1.jpg

More re-trimming to come soon hopefully!

Edited by smnanthny

Hah thanks, that part is actually a pain in the ass to use as a first attempt, because the curve in the shape and the fact is also curves back towards the body as well meant that the fabric just refused to stretch and stick, but meh... it looks good enough for the back of the car :P

Can't wait to get the headliner done, should really start to transform the interior!