Fox misfiring help!

fox07alex

Hi there

I own a 07 reg 1.2 VW Fox that on the home from work the other day started to run really rubbish, no power and seems to be misfiring.

I have replaced all three spark plugs, hoping this would correct the issue. However i still have the same problem. when removing the electical connector to the central pencil coil this made no change to the start up to the engine.. however when removing the electircal connector to the outer pencil coil the engine stalled. Has anyone had problems with the pencil coils? Any ideas on what this problem may be?

Please help

Alex

hi there,

i recently had the similar prob with missfiring, took it back to vw, they replaced all plugs and coils under warranty (09 reg), they said it was 1st time they had to do this on a fox??. in answer to your question i would deffo reckon its your pencil coil at fault but you may need your fault codes resetting not sure

i also think its the pecil coils, since i removed the central one, it didnt make any odds to the engine as its was missing/jerking about at idle....

But, i used the old spark plugs to test the pencil coils by removing them and connectign them all to the 3 old plugs, all 3 spark plugs fired when connected to the pecil coils when they were resting on the rocker cover... surely one wouldnt fire if it was defiantly the pecil coils?

i havern had the chance to get the car anywhere near a faul code reader, i might take it to the garage tomorrow hopefully.... ive just been out in it now and it was 'just' drivable then about 2mins of driving the engine light started flashing and limited the revs to 2k roughly 20mph, im guessign thats some kind of safe mode??

really hope it is just the coils... it coudl be that it fines but its a really **** spark?

ive just recently had my 3yr major service done after the warranty work, by a local garage not vw btw, and since the oil, fuel and air filter has been replaced along with said plugs and coils the little fox is now zipping along. so i would recommend you change air and fuel filter if you can

• 2 weeks later...