Hi, i'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some help on a few problems i'm having on my arosa.

The Car: Mk1 'T' reg arosa, 1 litre, 95,000 miles

have been noticing a wearing / whining noise coming from the gearbox when gearing down into first or second but didn't think anything of it and now the whining is happening between 30 and 70 in fifth. The noise disappears when i put the clutch down, so i suspect its something to do with the clutch or gearbox; have changed the gearbox oil but has made no difference. And have check the wheel bearing and all seems good.

My brother had a 6n2 1 litre polo which made a similar noise and turned out it was the thrust release bearing on the clutch, could that be the same problem?

Has anyone had the same problem or could shed some light on it?

Thanks.

My lupo did this, but i kept putting off getting it fixed :unsure:. In the end I got the clutch changed, but it was still making the noise. I eventually found out it was the thrust bearing (but too late), ended up wrecking the bearing and one of the bearing rollers pierced the bell housing and caused a gearbox oil leak. it cost me £650 to get the gearbox repaired. :surprise:

Clutch kits normally come with the thrust bearing with them, so of a garage has the box off anyway to do the clutch it always makes sense to change the bearing too '