Fuel consumption!?

Alex-Bone94

I drive a 1.4s 16v lupo and I put £21 in on Tuesday and I've done 84.7 mile, it's Friday today and I'm almost on red! Is that low or is it just me? I hear people getting 120 mile plus with £20? Advise?

Edited by Alex-Bone94

I drive a 1.4s 16v lupo and I put £21 in on Tuesday and I've done 84.7 mile, it's Friday today and I'm almost on red! Is that low or is it just me? I hear people getting 120 mile plus with £20? Advise?

I take it this is your first car? Most of the time MPG is all about how you drive a car, Trashing it or driving without reading the road properly will always give you bad MPG. I'm not saying you do drive badly but i know when i first passed my test i had lead feet.

Edited by jim8

the only way to really tell is fill it to the brim, do as many miles as you wish, fill it up again. from the amount of fuel you put back in, together with the amount of miles you do, you will be able to work out an actuate MPG figure ;)

once you've worked out the MPG, if it is terrible then there probably is something wrong with it!

My bro in law is still only getting 10mpg 6 months after passing his test. He says his driving instructor told him it was better to over rev than to labour the engine as at least he wouldn't stall that way :unsure:

My bro in law is still only getting 10mpg 6 months after passing his test. He says his driving instructor told him it was better to over rev than to labour the engine as at least he wouldn't stall that way :unsure:

Whats he driving to only get 10mpg, I've had a few sports cars lancer evo 4 , MX5 1.8s and a couple more but all did more than that even when driving quickly, so he must be driving a hell of a car or his has something wrong with it somewhere.

I know this is irrelevant because I have a 1L but 20 quid can get me about 150 miles, 37 quid to brim my tank from red and get about 290/310 from a full tank

A 30litre fill on my SDi gets me over 400miles... thats pushing 70mpg.... and I dont even try! (altho I dont rag it everywhere)

I'm sure if I could be arsed, and had the time to take an extra 10minutes for every journey, I would break the 70mpg barrier

However its true that driving style has more impact on fuel efficiency than most other factors (excluding a bloody great hole in your tank ;) )

G