Charge UP

jim8

I was just looking at the new UP in my local VW garage, The salesmen told me VW were bring an electric version of the UP out in the near future, I wonder what the price tag on this is going to be £20,000 - £25,000?

Whats everyone think of electric cars? I'm not sold on the idea just yet, I mean can you just imagine waking up in the morning for work and discovering you forgot to plug the car in to charge up :doh:

There not viable right now but without the early adopters (silently) blazing a trail things wont improve. But i am glad we at least have a start on electric cars, some things on the horizon are fast charging (4 minutes estimated) contactless charging and of course ever increasing range.

i think the only viable electric cars at the moment are the ones with a petrol generator that power them.

I agree, well doesn't have to be petrol, but some sort of onboard power generation. I drove a friend's insight on friday, that was quite nippy considering the size of the car, although i'm not sure i could ever justify the purchase cost versus the cost saving.

Edited by RobG

There not viable right now but without the early adopters (silently) blazing a trail things wont improve. But i am glad we at least have a start on electric cars, some things on the horizon are fast charging (4 minutes estimated) contactless charging and of course ever increasing range.

Your right there, TBH i'd think about buying one myself if the price was more reasonable as i only really need a car to get to work 25 miles away and the odd shopping trip, But can't see me being able to afford one for a long time yet.

Electric cars are a scam.

You effectively pay for what you would spent on fuel for three or four years up front and the residual values drop at an alarming rate. There ws a just12 months old Citröen C-Zero on Auto Trader recently for less than 50% of it's new price and itwas still £15000.

Electric cars are a scam.

You effectively pay for what you would spent on fuel for three or four years up front and the residual values drop at an alarming rate. There ws a just12 months old Citröen C-Zero on Auto Trader recently for less than 50% of it's new price and itwas still £15000.

Yeah I worked out i'd have to cover over 300,000 miles in a electric car to cover the extra cost of owning a small petrol car, Can't see that happening can you? lol.

I can't see the batterys having a very long life also, maybe 3 years? how many £'s so replace them i bet it's well into the thousands.

I can't see the batterys having a very long life also, maybe 3 years? how many £'s so replace them i bet it's well into the thousands.

I think the prius is in the region of 7-8k (!). The insight et al are around 2k

• 1 month later...

I see the Renault Zoe will be reasonable money, but battery lease is going to be approx £70 a month. It doesn't make car ownership cheaper (when you remember most manufacturers bang on about a full charge only costing tuppence), but it does bring it into line with a Clio used as a second car.

I see the Renault Zoe will be reasonable money, but battery lease is going to be approx £70 a month. It doesn't make car ownership cheaper (when you remember most manufacturers bang on about a full charge only costing tuppence), but it does bring it into line with a Clio used as a second car.

I priced up a Zoe recently. I think they're a great looking car and it would suit my commute. The costs just aren't viable though. The limited ranges are a big problem too - fine for a commute and charge each night but as a useable daily car you still need a hybrid at least.

electric is not the way to go, its apparently more eco friendly, yet the miles these batterys cover before they even make it into a car renders them pointless.

honda has it right with the hydrogen aspect. just need to find a cost effective way of producing it.

• Like 1