Car won't fault scan? - polo gti conversion

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this...

I've nearly completed a polo gti engine swap, decided i'd go the route of running it on a complete lupo gti engine loom & interior loom so that i could get the advantages of the battery in the boot, ease of fitting central locking & alarm etc.

Everything looks spot on apart from that the car won't fault scan with my diagnostic tool, has this been heard of before? I was wondering if it may be that i'm running the engine on the polo ecu which could have different pin assignments, after closer inspection of the obd wiring layout it is different on the polo interior loom to the lupo gti's, however even after changing the wiring locations at this end i've had no luck. Basically when i attempt to scan the car i get a link error, so there is power to the diagnostic tool just it won't communicate!

Any ideas? I'm concerned as without being able to scan i can't code the polos key to the ccm and so on so the install of the lupo gti loom will have been pointless.

Thanks in advance, Sam

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

The scanner is a stand-alone unit so it's not run off a computer, had it scan several other cars so it's not a problem with that as far as i'm aware.

Suppose it's a poasibility that a wire could be damaged somewhere, i'm not sure where i'd start looking in terms of which wires are for communication & what components they travel to!

Drove the car yesterday and it appears to be in limp mode (will only rev to around 4000 rpm) & the speedo doesn't work. So really needing to scan it so i can rectify the problems with it!

Cheers, Sam

are you running a complete lupo wiring loom, with a polo ecu or is it more mixed and matched?, you are going to have trouble as you cant scan two cars at once lupo/polo it might talk to some systems but not others, there will be some things that will comunicate but not others, first check the difference in obd socket wiring between the two and check for earth faults you should be able to get some communication

It's a full lupo gti loom on a polo gti ecu, had a closer look and compared the two looms and it appears that the communication wires (2 orange wires wound together) are in the same position on the ecu. The pin assignments to the obd plug are different, however even after swapping them around it still won't scan. My other thought was that the ccm module in my car isn't that of a gti so possibly this might be why it isn't communicating?

Sam