German style plates

Joti

I think they look really cool, though I know technically that they are illegal for road use.

Has anyone got any stories about using them on the roads? Have you been fined/got away with it so far???

I think they look really cool, though I know technically that they are illegal for road use.

Has anyone got any stories about using them on the roads? Have you been fined/got away with it so far???

x2 i just fitted some to my car, and I would also like to knoww :thumbsup:

some of the pressed plates without the D logo are legal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120765592471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1644wt_1037

just specify without Gb so they look more like the german ones

Hope that helps, if you havent already got any

Yup, personally pressed UK plates have no appeal for me - it's the whole German look - the font, etc. You can even buy the badges for local towns to put on them too, and "fake" German road tax stickers that go on the plate too......

Yeah, most systems they use now automatically read plates within a certain range..

If it's the wrong font or not reflective enough etc, it probably can't read it, understandable that they are clamping down so much tbh,

My mate was pulled a few weeks back with his 'Dubmeister' plates.. The officer was convinced they were illegal, i pointed out had a supplier name & post code etc. He agreed to look into it further and took a picture of the plates, he told my mate to expect a letter asking him to remove them within the week if he found them to be illegal. Two weeks later he has still received nothing. So on that basis id say they are fine, on the other hand getting pulled is a ball ache and if you come up against the wrong PC he will no doubt slap you with a provider anyway.

Mike

Is it really worth even bothering taking the risk just because german font plates "look cool"?

Mine had them on when i bought it but changed them that day as i didnt fancy a fine.

Better just putting up with UK font.

Just did some research online - you cannot even have a VW logo badge on plates!

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates

Required:

• White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
  • Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
  • The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
  • Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted

Permitted but not required:

• 3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font
  • Coloured, non-reflective border
  • National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

• Fancy or decorative typefaces
  • Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters
  • Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups
  • Altered characters
  • Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

i had some on my car that were illegal and got done for them. they look nice at first but the more i look at them the more i think they are tacky. they are becoming too common and iv even seen corsa's with them on.

i got pulled over for mine and got a fine (i think it was £60 may have been £30 and reported to the DVLA for misuse etc)

personally i would say dont bother. just get some legal pressed ones if thats what your after. dont bother with anything german on them as its just an excuse to get unwanted attention, that only ends up in fines. becomes expensive to "look cool"

They're a bit of a 'been there, done that' sort of thing IMO. You get pulled and given producers for something that really doesnt add anyhting to you car if you have a nice car anyway!

Edited by bobbo

• 2 weeks later...

Ive gone for simple plain standard font plates no borders no GB, very clean. Mine are illegal however because they dont have the postcode or supplier name. I was stopped late last year because my tailight bulb was out and the officer did a once over on the whole car and didnt spot it, not that id expect him to because in all other respects they are legal.

• 4 weeks later...