Question is.. 1.4 Sport (100bhp) or 1.4 TDI?

VWFTW

Hey guys! Although there's probably already a thread explaining this! But I think I'm tempted to get a Lupo TDI! Instead of the lovely sports! What do you reckon? Can anyone give me feedback on their TDI's? And what to look out for when viewing this type of model? As I think I'm going to view one this Saturday!

And another question..

If I was to get a TDI.. Shall I re-map the car or not? Any feedback on this aswell please?

Thanks!!

Get a diesel then remap it. Same power as the sport but more torque and WAY more efficient :thumbup:

as for common problems, nothing different to other lupos. Search 'common problems' and there are countless threads on it.

Off the top of my head, roof gutter corrosion, pedal box (check through service history for a FOC Goodwill pedal box welding/fixing from volkswagen).

I believe the tdis will go for miles when serviced regularly and comprehensively to dont be put off by mileage if there's a fsh!

Good luck :D

Depends on the miles you'e doing, diesels are only more efficient if you're getting them warmed up, lots of short journeys will kill your mpg. The petrol engines have a tendancy to drink oil, no matter how well they're looked after. Diesels are cheaper tax, the petrol sport has to be the least fuel efficient lupo there is...

Still, it's quite a lot of fun :)

i realy wanted a deisel when i was looking to buy mine but there few and far between also abit out of my price range..go for the deisel if you can!! i think they re-map to over 100bhp so will be faster than the sport...plus the sports drink fuel and oil.

Get a diesel then remap it. Same power as the sport but more torque and WAY more efficient :thumbup:

as for common problems, nothing different to other lupos. Search 'common problems' and there are countless threads on it.

Off the top of my head, roof gutter corrosion, pedal box (check through service history for a FOC Goodwill pedal box welding/fixing from volkswagen).

I believe the tdis will go for miles when serviced regularly and comprehensively to dont be put off by mileage if there's a fsh!

Good luck :D

Nice Feedback mate! appreciate it.. I shall keep you posted on what I get! :)

Yep it's definitely a no brainer! tdi is the way to go, i've just purchased one (well it's ugly sister the Arosa) It will also depreciate less than the petrol models aswell.

Good luck finding one! :)

Also quick hijack question, were the very early lupo/arosa's not in the cheap tax band? i"m sure i've read that x reg's are 120 and mine is a y reg at only 30????

Something you may need to check on, could be hugely mistaken though.

Edited by raamek

Hi there mate, I've had my Lupo TDI for nearly a year now & have loved every minute with it!

I would highly recommend buying one!

Just beware that not all of them fall in the £30 tax bracket! I think that the ones from 2001 onwards do Y / 51 reg onwards ok.

Yes, they do cost much more to buy, than the other models (similar in price to GTIs) but also seem to hold there value well!

If I was to sell mine now, even after a year of owning it, I doubt I would loose much or even anything off the price I paid!

Good Luck with your search!!

Cheers Gavin

I have had my TDI for about 3 months now, I paid nearly £3k for it with 62k on clock and a full dealer service history. I have had one problem with it with the Window Regulator but apart from that I cant fault it, the insurance is nothing, the tax is nothing, and it goes forever on a tank or derv.

The TDI doesnt suffer the pedal box problem. Or the coil pack problem. Or the HT lead problem. Not sure about the gearbox.

Thanks for uploading the car on the thread! Can anyone tell me why I type in its registration into a car checker website it comes up with Lupo 1.4 E.. Not a TDI? Strange.. It's also had a registration plate changed in 2010? Hmm nice car tho! Any thoughts on this?

I have had my TDI for about 3 months now, I paid nearly £3k for it with 62k on clock and a full dealer service history. I have had one problem with it with the Window Regulator but apart from that I cant fault it, the insurance is nothing, the tax is nothing, and it goes forever on a tank or derv.

Sounds like my ideal buy! Where did you get this? Would anyone be so kind and upload pics of their TDI? ;)