GTI gear linkage engine bay pics needed

hiya, it looks like some bits have snapped off the linkage mechanism in the engine bay on my GTI meaning I can't select any gears. Could someone post some pics of how it should all attach so I can see exactly what has come off, and what bits I need to replace..

Thanks in advance...

-Jon

will take some pics and post up in the morning.. on the rotating mechanism it looks like at least a bolt has snapped off as there is an exposed thread going through it and a fair bit of play caused by the lack of whatever part was meant to be there..

this bits wobbly as hell, so am sure a bolt or something should go on top. hopefully that's all I need to replace. If anyone knows vw part numbers for bits I need that'd be useful too.. forgot to mention it's a six speed box if that makes a difference..

IMG_0148b.jpg

Edited by Kam Racing

I think, to be honest, the bolt has just worked it's way loose?

It's actually on a tapered spline if my memory serves me correctly. As soon as you bolt it down it should lock into the taper and sort itself out.

The only thing baffling me is, why did it come off in the first place...

EDIT: Looking at the second last pic, the spline might be stripped?

I had a similar problem on mine :(

The part that is missing is

N 909 083 01 shouldered hex nut

But, if the spline is stripped on the selector mechanism the part is

02T 301 230 B gear change unit

However, Dale (Lupoboz) said I had the last selector avaiable in the country so it may be difficult to find a new one. And is was a ball ache to replace as the gearbox has to be taken out!

It's not a gearbox out job, worst case scenario is you support the engine (trolley jack) on the gearbox side and strip the mount off to get at the 8mm torx bolts for the selector tower.

Like rich said you can do it with the gearbox still in.

The nut has come off and as that selector tower goes up and down aswell as left and right there is not wonder you can't select a gear.

I would take the selector arm off and inspect the shaft, there is a master spline on the selector shaft which needs to line up with the selector mechanism or you will have trouble engaging gear.

You might be lucky and its not rounded off the teeth on the shaft.

John

It's not a gearbox out job, worst case scenario is you support the engine (trolley jack) on the gearbox side and strip the mount off to get at the 8mm torx bolts for the selector tower.

It's not just the two torx bolts on the top holding it in. There's a push pin on the selector shaft inside the gearbox that prevents the selector from sliding straight out. I know you recommended violence and perseverance when I needed to get mine out, but in the end it was a case of gearbox out.

The nut has come off and as that selector tower goes up and down aswell as left and right there is not wonder you can't select a gear.
ah didn't realise it moved vertically too.. At least it only came out of gear when I was half way across both lanes trying to pull into a side road - not like i was in the way at all :-) after pushing it out of the way did find that with a bit of force on the lever could get it into 2nd (which helped me properly park it).

had messages from the local vw garage that the parts are in stock now and can pick up monday but later that day that they're on back order and won't be able to pick up monday so will have to see which of the two people is right...

• 5 years later...

you're in the **** here.

1. Put the weight on, washer over the top and weld it in place. Crap wobbly shift forever.

2. Drill it, tap it and hope a bolt holds.

3. Get a new tower (recommended)five or six speed?

it happens.

i have a spare five speed box with a spanking new one of these fitted to it.

I think Mitch said it was circa 120 for the part.