Burning Oil

Hi all,

I have a lupo 1.4E, had it a while now, it's doing a lot of miles! London to Scotland and back every weekend!

It's started to burn oil! Quite a lot really, from max to minimum on dip stick!

So, first things first! No blue smoke on start up, no cloudy smoke when running, no oil in water, no overheating nothing out of the usual, I stick to the speed limits, the oil is going somewhere!?

I put an oil seal supplement in engine to see what that did, and it fixed it for about two weeks!

On closer inspection this morning, as there are no oil drips on the floor I have noticed that oil is gathering on the bottom of the engine!

Stop me if I'm thinking stupid here, but I'm wondering if? as the engine heats up, something is expanding leaking and then closing afterwards!

Desperate seeking help! As I love my little lupo! Is it buggered?

Edited by Deadmike

You can't be losing a massive ammount if it's not all over the pavement when you park up. Jack it up and have a proper look underneath.

The best thing to do is give it a good blast (lots of high revs) and look in the mirror for smoke (be sure not to confuse oil smoke with tyre smoke :paperbag: )

Then get back and park it up on a dry, clean surface for 10 mins and check for any drips or signs of leakage.

If it's gonna leak, it'll be when the oil is piping hot and runny.

16V engines generally burn oil. The sport owners just notice that they burn more oil as it sprays up the boot due to the exhaust design.

I'd say your oil consumption is normal given the mileage you're going. Just make sure you keep up the oil changes and servicing and you should be fine.

If the oil was leaking when its warm then there would be big black oiley stains down the length of the underside of the car as the slipstream would be smearing it along as you merrily drive along so have a lookey,lookey, but that is a fair mileage to be doing and does'nt seem unduly high to me

cheers stevie