Removing rear view mirror

mccrindle

Just got a black gti rear view mirror to match rest of interior. Tried to remove it by turning it 90 degrees either way but it is real stiff. Anyone got any ideas ? Cheers

Jacob

Your doing the right thing by twisting it but it is tuff, you do have to give it a really good twist.

I know it feels like your going to shatter the screen but you won't.

Sometimes people shatter them, sometimes they don't.

I've never shattered one, it's all about having the balls to just go for it.

Grab the base and twist it to the side, don't apply any pressure to any direction but the one single fluid twist movement.

SAME!

whats even worse, i wasnt insured at the time, so couldnt claim it that way. had to pay full price.

autoglass wanted £350 of something stupid!

but i managed to pick one up for £120 in the end.

Cheers guys just swapped mine over, as others have said bite ye bullet and twist mine popped off easy enough, I managed to remove the mirror off the ball joint then take that off the windscreen :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought a black one today to replace my cream one. Came off fine old one , putting new one on I cracked it bad ! How do you put them on without cracking them ? Do both bits come off or just the actual mirror. I took it off a polo at the scrappy and the whole lot mirror and attachment bit came off piece off piss although when I try and take attatchment bit off mine it looks like its part of the glass and just sends tiny bits of glass all over my interior :(