sunroof leak

fear88

• 5 years later...

Sunroof!!!!

I've had enough of water in the footwells but now I've got  a top tip for keeping them dry.

Open the doors and you will see a disc shaped cover as pictured. Remove the cover and get a hose to spray up into the little rubber outlet. This is the drain for the plastic tray your sunroof sits in and it's the favourite point of blockage. A spray from the hose should dislodge the accumulated debris.  Do NOT pull the rubber out or you will have to drop the whole pipe down from the other end to get the rubber back on the end of it. It is do-able though so don't panic if you have pulled it off, it just means dropping the headlining. 

Next, open your sunroof and you can easily find the outlet if you look inside the plastic tray around the direction of the A pillar. Pour a small amount of water to ensure the pipe is now draining. If not, repeat the process above and give the rubber outlet a little, ahem, "finger".  With some more water from above and enough interference, the dirt should come out.

Hopefully this will do the trick if you're having problems. 

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

• 1 year later...

I’ve cleaned my drain hole and tested and water drains out of drain point as in picture about the leak I’ve found is the underside of sunroof black plastic tray towards  the inner sunroof the   front left corner towards top inner tray situated above the front blue drain pipe anybody know if water should in first place be on top inner tray if so does this side of tray drain. Off to back drain holes 

sorry anout decription when I say top of tray it’s the part when you open sunroof it’s the first bit of tray you see and the lower part is towards windscreen if this helps lol

I think from memory there are only two drain points in that black tray, and they feed the tubes that go down inside the A pillars.

If one of them is blocked or even partially blocked, enough water can sit in the tray and depending on the orientation of the vehicle it will spill over and make you think there's a leak from a mystery area. Clean, clean and clean again. I like the suggestion above but be sure you don't dislodge the tube from the tray as that will let water discharge straight onto the headlining and you'll know if it rains then! I've got a little drawer string thing used for electrician work and that's ok for cleaning too I find.

Well I just got in car and it’s been dripping in same corner so I got home opened sunroof up and feed a wire each side and all is clear I then filled the tray up and tested each side with water and all ran out of A pillar drain points great also no leaks on corner headliner now I’m really confused lol it’s testing me I also poured water on top of screen also on the sunroof with no leaks in that corner but when that car has been standing all day in rain and I turn right the left corner drops water which has built up somewhat mmm 

After doing the above I drove car and when I braked at junction it dropped water again from that corner are there drain holes at the rear or any other drain tunes anything else I can check next 

Edited by Darran
Update

Hi rich if it’s parked uphill all is good but if on downhill that’s when  it starts or after being left on flat all day if I turn left into roundabout it’s ok bit if I turn right then water trickles out of front left corner or brake hard at downhill junction 

Prob next step would be take headliner completely out and also after advice on rear drain points do I need to take rear bumper off to locate them all advice really grateful and when I eventually get it sorted it may help others lol