Help with the law.

Lollipop

Hey guys.

I've done something really stupid, But not actually knowing at the time.

My dad paid for my insurance and meant for it to start on the Friday (18th)... So Friday night after finishing work i went to pick my car up (being stored away from home) and drove it home.. Later on i went out to see my mate who lives 10 minutes up the road, This is my first car and time on the road alone, So i was driving by the book as taught by my instructor only a few weeks ago (only just passed.. Anyway when i got there we parked next to each other, And just chatting etc. 10 mintues later a police car pulled up and asked me to get in.. They said i popped up on there ANPR for no tax, but that was payed for online so it wasn't showing up.. this was cleared up due to going from SORN to taxed online, it doesn't show up straight away so they said. But they gave me a producer and said I had to hand in my license, MOT cert and Insurance docs to the station within 7days... So the next day (not wanting to wait about) i decied to sort it all out... Due to having everything online i got my dad to print it all off (me being on the family admiral multicar) and went down to the station with all the documents. After waiting an hour and a half and dealing with the women at the desk it came apparent that my dad had got the dates wrong and it was to start on the saturday (20th).. making at the time i was stopped me un-insured... Which obviously is quite a serious offense regardless of the fact i wasn't aware i was doing it, So its going to court... Where i'll most likely end up getting 6 points and my license revoked since i've only just passed my test 4 weeks ago.

Will the judge go easy on me for having payed for insurance, tax, MOT and having a valid license, The fact I was stopped at 9.30pm and the insurance was valid from 12pm, And that i went to the station the next day straight after finishing work, Also that i was polite and understanding and didn't argue or kick off and that i need my car to get to work, and my license for my job...

Cheers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately its your job to check the documents, understandably you had no intention of driving illegally so fingers crossed you plead ignorance and they go easy on you.

I'd happily pay a fine, but without my car i have no way to get to work, no way of driving at work (being a technician) and no way of getting to MX tracks with my bike.

Yeah, i know its my responsibility to check the documents.. But it was a genuine mistake on my dads behalf. I couldn't check it myself due to it all being online and its all password protected in my dads name, So wouldn't I be guilty of committing identify theft?

Would you suggest getting a solicitor involved?

I'm not arguing with you guys, Just trying to find answers.

You weren't insured. There's no way out of it, you'll go to a magistrates court and they'll remove your license from you.

No bull****, no sympathies. These people see loads of cases like this all the time and you're just going through the motions.

Unfortunate but that's life.

Was it done online or over the phone?

Get your dad to ring them - it may be a clerical error on their part, and they can backdate the cover if that is the case.

Online, Already rang them.. They say it was set to start on the Saturday morning.

Why didnt they seize your car at the time? If must have been showing as insured on the MID

No idea, Not the thing i wanted to be questioning whilst sat in the a cop car (for the first time ever). lol...

Yeah, your probably right Rich.. Just a shame that i'd already paid for the insurance with the 100% intention of not driving without it. And then some people have no intention of getting it and drive round everyday in near scrap cars so if they get caught they'll just be crushed... But i suppose thats the world we live in, And i bet i'll be fined and punished more because im a honest, tax paying, hardworking, law abiding citizen.

i personally think the best thing to do is bite the bullet. tell the judge that it was a total misunderstanding etc and just be really nice and polite. to be fair to you and your dad it is a genuine mistake and i bet it happens more than you think. it is your fault as you didnt check but we are only human and do these things. if you get a decent judge you might be lucky. if you get someone who's had a bad day unfortunately your looking at losing you license mate.

Was someone else insured on the car on the friday? The officers that stopped you must have thought you were insured else they would have seized the car. When you PNC the VRM it automatically brings up the insurance status at the same time as the tax - its on the same screen.

Were you insured to drive it under your provisional license whilst you were learning etc?

It gets worse, Admiral have pulled the insurance after reviewing the situation... Because i drove the car without insurance after paying for it? Where they see the sense in that i don't know... So thats me not being able to get to work.. Luckily i've got the day off tomorrow so i can try and sort something out.

@Piers - I always have, and always will be honest. It never crossed my mind to lie about the situation, as i genuinely had no idea i wasn't insured. My career and apprenticeship is far to important to risk it all for a hour or two parked up talking to my mates.

@Defcon5 - No insurance was on the car until Saturday... Like i said i don't know why they didn't take the car? But the insurance differently only started on the Saturday or i wouldn't be in this situation.

Just the sheer embarrassment of the situation is bad enough, Not even my mum knows!

You may struggle to get insurance again, when they ask the question "have you ever had insurance cancelled or voided" technically you have and this pretty much cock blocks the **** out of you getting insured.

Thought i'd keep you all updated,

After a quick phone call to admiral (from my dad) asking to re-start the insurance and let us cancel it. So i can actually get insurance elsewhere... They said given the circumstances they'd do it one this occasion. Which i can't thank them enough for! So i've already got insured with a different company so i'm again able to drive until i get the result from the court hearing... One less thing to worried about, So no i can get to and from work and to motocross once i get a towbar :)

Assuming you cant afford Nick Freeman, you can do little else but throw yourself at the mercy of the magistrates. May I suggest you start doing a lot of charity & community work that you are required to drive to...

at the time you were pulled, you had no insurance, thats a fact and the way any judge will see it, the only thing you can do is plead your case, well not you , you deffo need a solicitor to do that and a good one at that, going to have to go down the whole story then plead you need car for job, you are willing to pay a higher fine and if your licence is took away it would cause you hardship loose your job so no income. you are going to be done thats a fact its now down to how good a brief you get to barter for the best punishment for you.