1.4 16v sport tuning?

smitty12

I'm wanting a bit more power out of my sport engine without spending a fortune. Been for a drive with my mates and the lupo struggled to keep up a bit :(

I currenly have a PiperX air filter with a flexi pipe to the front grill with 56mm venturi and a cat back stainless Powerfloww exhaust. Through 1st, 2nd and 3rd the car is great but once into 4th & 5th theres no way i can keep up :(

My exhaust is blown and i've put an electronic throttle in, i'm sure the potentiometer must be playing up but it this doesnt seem the reason for lack of power through 4th & 5th

what you trying to keep up with ? would have thought 100BHP would see you alright plus the other mods you have done, i am sure the tuning boys will be along any minute with a few pointers

Owning a sport myself id say even when standard you should keep up with the cars listed with relative ease.. My Brother used to own a 206 Hdi with the 1.6 tdi 110ps and the sport was a fair quicker once moving, especially in the twistys.. Although the 206 had more grunt bottom end as they have a fair bit of torque. If your looking for cost effective mods it would be worth looking at a Raceland or ashley manifold with a de-cat.. A 100cell race or 200cell sports cat would be ideal but this would cost another £200 or so.. Other than that possibly a stainless cat back system although this will only see minor gains.

Mike

Thanks for that mike, i've got a stainless cat back system so the manifold will have to be next on my list.

Will have to get vag com to check for faults and definitly get the exhaust sorted

Defcon5 - yes i've got GTI brakes on the front, Sport rear brakes, 15" alloys, not sure on tyre size thou, not low profile thou!

Scotty_82 - I use the 4 seats and theres not much else i can get rid of :(

Edited by smitty12

What about the suspension?

Given you say you are lagging behind in 4/5th gear, what kind of situation do you mean? Pure straight speed or flowing corners? Are you on the power all the time or lifting off/braking and then reapplying the power?

A decat and 4-1 manifold will see you right.

I'd probably be inclined to do away with the induction kit and either put an enclosed system on there (BMC/ITG) or even put the standard air box back on with uprated cold air feeds.

Lightweight wheel make a fair difference too!

The wheels are still quite light, TSR Pomona's.

Defcon5 - Its on FK Konigsport coilovers

Motorways it is poor, Corners it is fine really. Hills 4th and 5th are all most useless, obviously meaning longer hills rather than steaper

I know I have a problem with the potentiometer when pulling off (power really lags below 2000rpm) and the exhaust blown could just make it down on power?

Cooper_GTI - I still have the standard air box with a PiperX panel filter and a cold air feed from behind the grill on a flxi pipe and 56mm venturi. What are the BMC/ITG systems?

you should be able to rinse those said cars easy.

my arosa sport (now owned by another lad on here) would get to 125mph easy on private road of course.

mine had a longlife secondary de-cat pipe, and a modified airbox with a standard filter and pulled 108bhp at the fly on the rollers. de-cat makes a good difference up top end mind.

along with smaller diameter wheels! sounds stupid but makes quite a difference to acceleration i found. i had borbet ts with 195/45/14s on them.

dont forget mind you can make those little cars handle superb.

mine had 14x7J borbets with toyo t1rs all round (tyres makes the biggest difference) they were ET25 offset which also makes a good difference as the track is wider then.

i also had gmax 40mm shocks and springs, an omp lower strut brace and a whiteline rear arb, which is an awesome bit of kit and makes a massive difference!

Strut Brace and ARB a definitely on the to do list, I think i need vagcom on it to be honest. Its definitely a fair bit quicker than the old 75bhp engine but 4th and 5th along with the potentiometer lagging is definitely dropping the performance.

Would like to compare it to somones sport with similar mods, anyone from up newcastle who can be arsed to compare the two? Theres a air strip up Otterburn where testing would be easy

Has anyone modified the inlet manifolds on these? I bet there's a fair bit of metal to be removed from the plenum chamber, the throttle body and the inlet runners to see a little bit more top end power.

Unfortunately though, the lack of torque the sport has compared to the two diesels listed, its going to be a struggle higher up the gears. 1.6 GTi bottom end should solve this ;)

You also have to consider Aerodynamics against Inertia. Both of these will play a role the faster you go. A Lupo isn't exactly aerodynamic is it? Plus, with it weighing less than the other three cars, its going to struggle up the top end. My GTi-6 track car did past 130mph. Before it was stripped out, I could happily see 150mph (private runway) yet with the less weight...

In addition to the above, don't count on your wheels being super light either. Unsprung weight has a multiplicating factor to it. Every 1kg lighter the unsprung weight, its like removing 4-5kg from the car itself.

He wants to get on par with his mates dervs on the traffic light grand prix, not make the car into a competitive race car.

I cant see how you would lose 20mph top speed off a car by taking out probably 100-150kg of material, i dont think the loss in mass would effect the relevant ability of the car to lose so much downforce from mass loss that it would drop so many mph.

Another point is that who the hell will be doing 130-150 mph on the roads, stripping means less inertia neeed to move a car which will have the same force acting on it as before so greater acceleration.

Edited by scotty_82

At no point did I mention turning it into a competitive race car. I was merely passing on my 2p worth. Clearly it has been misunderstood somewhat.

The 20mph difference wasn't to suggest that the car wasn't capable of reaching the same speed. Just that it took longer to do so past a certain point.

Removing what was closer to 200kgs out of the car created, as you put it in your second reply, greater acceleration. You're right. Its the same force acting upon said object. Within that, though, is a fulcrum point where air or wind resistance kicks in and overcomes the increased acceleration, actually reducing it. The greater the speed, the slower the acceleration due to the resistance.

With a heavier object, that acceleration is more linear throughout.

Think about it another way: If a larger, heavier object impacts with a smaller, lighter object travelling head on at the same speed, the smaller of the two will decelerate far quicker than that of the larger object. The same applies here, just in a smaller quantity.

Again though, when is he going to reach those speeds on the road against he oil burner palls.

And re-read you post, you clearly claim loosing the weight made a 20mph difference in your car, at no point did you say anything about time scales.

...its going to struggle up the top end. My GTi-6 track car did PAST 130mph. Before it was stripped out, I could happily see 150mph (private runway) yet with the less weight...

Re-read.