04 Seat Arosa S Temperature drops suddenly

Sangy

Hi Guys,

Today I noticed a problem with my Temp Gauge after I went over a speed bump, i think i may have gone over slighly quicker then i should have. But basically my temp at that point was at 90 but 5 mins after going of the speed bump I noticed that the temp gauge had dropped below the 70 mark. I drove for another 10 mins after that and the temp still did not seem to increase.

However after letting it cool down for a few hours I took it out for a spin and what i noticed was that the gauge went up to 90 but as soon as increased my speed the gauge suddenly dropped below the 70 mark.

I am a novice with cars so any help will be appreciated.

Hey Chrisbee, How do i check to see if the thermostat is working? N should d rad fan just kick in when the engine turns on. I have read around and some posts seem to say it could be thermostat and the temp sender. How much would you say it would cost to replace and fit these items? Thanks

To check if the thermostats working just open the bonnet and run the engine, wait for it to warm up to temperature (takes about 5mins maybe more in this weather) and the rad fan should kick in for a few seconds then off again.

It might also be worth doing this with the header tank cap off, just incase you have air in the system, which could cause the sudden changes in temp.

just keep an eye on it and it should "burp"

As said the temp sensors an easy enough job (theres a guide on how to do it on the forum) although i'd advise having a bucket under the car to catch the coolant, as chances are the O ring wont come out with it and you'll have to go fetching it with coolant pissing out (what happend to me anyway)

You can get them on ebay for £5 posted cheap enough, if you know anyone with vag com they can run a fault check on the car as chances are it'll have thrown up a code, mine did anyway.