Fault code 17756 / P1348 - Lupo missing/losing power problems

Evening all...

wonder if anyone can point me in a direction....

2001 vw lupo 1.4s (75bhp) model... 71,000 on the clock

when driving along at any speed... the engine suddenly looses power for a second or two.... then goes back to normal.... then happenss again a few mins later...... and so on..

engine (check) light came on.... with fault code 17756 / P1348 - ignition coil power output stage 1 open circit...

so i have first replaced the coil pack with a lucas one

tried again and still the same problem ....

so changed the cam shaft sensor ( as recommended by the audodata program my mechanic has...

tried again... and still the same problem / fault code.,.

changed the HT leads ... (bosch) and new ngk spark plugs today..

and still having the same problem of it missing/loosing power for split seconds... at any speed and any gear..

can anyone help at all .. as the autodata dionostics program has recommeded to change all the above..... now im lost ..

many thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

update on this...

had all the wiring checked by the garage i have bought it off... as its still under warrenty,

had the coil pack changed .. ht leads.. plugs. cam sensor and rear silencer so far... ( silencer had its wadding coming out ) so that could of been causing a blockage

but its still losing power/misfiring/ going into limp mode

50354_240902228038_7122032_n.jpg

this light either comes on and stays on...

or as it did last night when it went into limp mode... it was flashing

and running on 1/2 cylinders

fault codes on vagcom/launch

16684 / p0300 random muiltiple misfire detected

16685 / p0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected

16688 / p0304 cylinder 4 misifire detected

16555 / p0171 system to lean bank 1

17756/ p1348 ignition coil sporadic coil power output stage 1 open

17757 / p1349 ignition coil sporadic coil power output stage 2 open

anyone help with this one ??

Edited by mark lupo

Another faulty coil pack? the engine is not out of time is it? does this happen all the time or after a certain time driving? if it happens all the time you could have skipped a tooth out of time and there for its not firing properly. (cyl 1&4)

can happen anytime any where...............

it happens alot more when your doing over 2k on the revs...

and happens more at speed ( above 50mph)

but can happen hot or cold... and i cant make it happen.. it just happens.... when and where it wants too... no pattern at all

thanks for the reply

nope... can come as go as it pleases..... normally happens above 2k.... but can go miles without it happening...

but last night was the biggy... full loss of power ..constant missing / rough runnin... running on 2/3 cylinders... and all the fault codes listed above came up...

mechanic cleared the codes..... started engine.. and it was running fine again... but still missing every few mins

recently had a one litre with the same random missfires, changed the coilpack for a cheap new one.

still had the codes.

changed the coilpack for a known used genuine one.

Problem sorted and I hit the new one with a hammer a few times.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Borrow a proper one off a mate and see what difference it makes.

Bit of a update on mine,

Mine is stil broken, parts replaced -

Coil pack (geninue)

Leads

Spark plugs

The garage had it running for hr and it was fine. As soon as it was collected though - engine mangement light on again. I wonder if vw are sending out faulty parts?

That combination of codes points to the coil pack. If you are 100% confident it's not the coil itself then look for a fault in the wiring to the coil.

It is definitely not a problem related to the lambda sensor - save your money.

The garage have now changed ...

Plugs

leads

coil pack

coil pack wiring

cam sensor

rear silencer

cat converter

lamda sensor

have not had the phone call yet to say its fixed ... So it must still be missing .. Thanks for the replies .. All the work is being done under warrenty... So not costing me anything but time waiting ... Hope its fixed soon tho !

That combination of codes points to the coil pack. If you are 100% confident it's not the coil itself then look for a fault in the wiring to the coil.

It is definitely not a problem related to the lambda sensor - save your money.

i know its not a genuine coil ... But the garage said they were planning on fitting one .. So we will see

The garage have now changed ...

Plugs

leads

coil pack

coil pack wiring

cam sensor

rear silencer

cat converter

lamda sensor

:surprised:

I'm relieved you're not footing the bill while this garage random throws new parts at the car in the hope of stricking lucky. Unfortunalety that's how a lot of places operate - and main dealers are often the worst of the lot because they know they can just claim the costs back from the manufacturer. Any decent mechanic would have a picoscope on that coil and diagnose it in a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

ALL FIXED AND RUNNING FAB....

They think the fault was after all .... an aftermarket coil ! lol who would of thought it...

so its had all genuine parts fitted.... and ecu cleared.... and the car runs like a dream now....

ALWAYS BUY GENUINE PARTS..... lol

thanks for all the advice :) & Support

who would of thought it...

The diagnostic code told them it was a coil fault and several people on here also said it was a coil fault. Everything pointed to a fault with the coil.

I'm glad you got it fixed in the end but I'd be looking for another garage next time you need something fixing