brake light mystery?????

Steggy

Hi all, I'm new here and I wondered ifyou couldhelp me with a problem i have with my brake lights. Today I got pulled over by a copper because my two bottom brake lights weren't working (unbeknown to me) although my long brake light above the rear window was. He told me to get the bulbs changed and gave me a thirty quid fine (thanks!). Anyway when i went to replace the bulbs i noticed that both of them hadn't blown, by checking them further they both worked perfectly. I therefore assumed it must be a fuse problem, so i checked these but again everything was fine. Im now baffled, how could the middle, upper brake light work but the two bottom main lights be out despite having good bulbs in them. Do I need to check the wiring and how do i do this, any help given would be truly appreciated, best wishes, Steve.

thank you for your reply, I'll order one today, but what baffled me was if it was a faulty switch then why didn't all the brake lights cut out. is the centre strip light above the rear window wired differently. Oh, and is it easy to take the plastic cover off. do you just pull it or screw it off. My model is a diesal 1.7 sdi, again, many, many thanks for your help

the two bottom lights on a Lupo are fog lights, not brake lights, and only one of those will work from the factory (on the driver's side)

The top lights on a Lupo are the brake lights, as well as side lights, so maybe they have blown. They should be whats known as a '380 twin filament' 21w/5w bulb.

The highlevel brakelight will still work even with blown bulbs, so thats normal.

Thanks for more insights, it appears as if I have replaced the foglights, I didn't know the brake lights were on the top as twin filaments, I shall get out my phillips and investigate further, thanks again for all your help, this site is brilliant. Steve.

• 7 years later...

14 hours ago, Luke1985 said:

Hi if my lights are off the top lights act as brake lights if my lights are on no brake lights is this the same problem? Thanks also it seems that if my lights are on the auto box doesn’t engage? Thanks again 

Do you have the correct bulbs in the tail lights? They should be twin filament 380 bulbs and they should only fit in the holder one way, I've loads of cars where people have used the correct bulb but fitted it wrong. The 380 bulb has 2 pins, one is slightly higher than the other so that they fit in the holder in one place. So it could be that someone has fitted a single filament (382) bulb where there should be a twin filament, that can make the car do many odd things!

Edited by lupogtiboy

• 2 weeks later...