Arosa SDi wont start

sammo88

Hi guys,

I've got a mk1 Arosa 1.7 sdi that for some reason, has no power going to the stop solenoid.

I've managed to start it by stringing a 12v feed from the battery directly to the stop solenoid and then it runs fine.

i was thinking it could be the chip reader around the ignition barrel, but im in unknown territory there.

could it be this and is it a big job to switch it out? :wacko:

Cheers

The chip reader . . . . . . .

The immobiliser works on these cars by having a key and a transponder box coded to each other and then coded to the ECU.

If there's a problem with the immobiliser then the car would start normally, run for a second and cut out.

The key and transponder box are coded to each other, if one doesn't work then you have to replace both. You can code any matching key and transponder to an ECU but they have to be a matching key and transponder.

The chip reader is simply the reader for the key to the transponder and if it was buggered you could simply change it, however a problem with the immobiliser wouldn't cause the fault that you've said. If it was at fault then you would start and run for a second, that would be all.

If you rephrase the question, I'll give you a relevant answer. Although I reckon I already know the fault.

The chip reader . . . . . . .

The immobiliser works on these cars by having a key and a transponder box coded to each other and then coded to the ECU.

If there's a problem with the immobiliser then the car would start normally, run for a second and cut out.

The key and transponder box are coded to each other, if one doesn't work then you have to replace both. You can code any matching key and transponder to an ECU but they have to be a matching key and transponder.

The chip reader is simply the reader for the key to the transponder and if it was buggered you could simply change it, however a problem with the immobiliser wouldn't cause the fault that you've said. If it was at fault then you would start and run for a second, that would be all.

If you rephrase the question, I'll give you a relevant answer. Although I reckon I already know the fault.

if you already know the fault why not tell the bloke instead of stringing him along!!!!!

Because, to give a correct answer straight away the question must simply be a question, not already guessing what the fault is and then just asking for clarification.

A straight question always requires a straight answer, or sometimes I simply enjoy baiting people.

OP. Your ignition switch is dead, it's time for a new one. They're cheap enough to buy or acquire but they're a little fiddly to replace.

Prepare to stump up or drill the lock.