Insurance has doubled

JoeA

Renewal just came through, the insurance on the lupo has doubled, im not going into exact figures as it'll spark of the usual stuff in this section. I just don't understand how after a year of the car having a clean record the insurance can rise by over double. Anyone else had this?

earlier on in the year I was transfering my insurance from an audi a6 4.2v8 quattro to a 1.8 alfa and it came up as the same price, I questioned why a 1.8 alfa was the same price and was told, because of the harsh winters and snow fall, more alfa's had left the road in the snow and claimed than audi quattro's, hence the price hike on the alfa. on top of that since then there has being a price hike across the board cos my audi insurance wanted another £450 on top of last year. so all the people crashing there cars in the snow and gready insurance companys wanting to make they losses back double quick are to blame.

doesn't matter who your with everyones insurance is going up, my dad had his renewal through and we worked it out as an 85% increase and thats him driving 23 years never having a claim, clean license and being a HGV assessor. Its crazy to think that something can have such high inflation :(

I actually ended up renewing with the same company much to my frustration. Reason being others were trying to charge me the same amount I was paying when I'd just passed my test, despite the fact I had 3 years no claims and was 2 months away from 2 years full driving. Pay £1200+ for insurance at my age? Never. Think my final bill was around the £640 mark as I paid in one go (saving £220 in the process). Renewal was in June 2011, NCB 3 Years, 1 Years Full Driving (nearly 2 but they wouldn't take it into account... lame), 21 in October. Standard Lupo, 1.4 Auto.

Its a pure rip off, I feel sorry for the younger ones out there, priced off the road, every one entitled to one chance, should be cheaper to get first insurance, but if you cause accident and its proved it was your naughty driving that caused it, ban them from insurance and driving for 3 years and dont get penny for own car, more new drivers get on the road without paying stupid amounts of money and they know what will happen if they cause an accident by driving like a divvy, Just a thought dont shoot me...............

Companies always try it on at renewal. Run some quotes with other companies, then get them to beat it.

Last year Admiral knocked £75 off after me ringing up and saying it was a bit expensive, took all of 2 mins

doesn't matter who your with everyones insurance is going up

Mine went down a little bit.

Companies always try it on at renewal.

That's one reason I like Brentacre. They give their cheapest quote at renewal and don't try it on. They do say that they may be able to price match if you can get an equivalent quote for cheaper elsewhere, but with their 'any mod you like' and like for like cover on replacing any modifications it's pretty hard to find equivalent cover!

mine went up a tad going from a mk3 fiesta to a arosa sport, but ive done a few renewals ready for a months time, and it doesnt look good! most are coming back at £1500+! 20yrs old, 3 yrs no claims (4 if you inlude bike) and 3 points for SP30. fudgkin rip off.!

Mine went down a little bit.

That's one reason I like Brentacre. They give their cheapest quote at renewal and don't try it on. They do say that they may be able to price match if you can get an equivalent quote for cheaper elsewhere, but with their 'any mod you like' and like for like cover on replacing any modifications it's pretty hard to find equivalent cover!

when i rang up brentacre to get a quote i was chatting to the lad about how expensive insurance was and he said they had been sending renewal quotes out at upto 35% more than the previous year!

Whether this was stil the cheapest they could offer or not is questionable.

Surely one of the main reasons why insurance is going up is all these claims for 'wiplash'. We bring it on ourselves. A new system needs to be introduced to prevent all these bogus claims...

Hire cars must bump it up loads too. My mate was given one for a while and it ended up a claim for thousands of punds for a couple of hundred pounds worth of damage, because they were fighting over who's fault it was, due to the ridiculous hire car fee.

Hire cars must bump it up loads too. My mate was given one for a while and it ended up a claim for thousands of punds for a couple of hundred pounds worth of damage, because they were fighting over who's fault it was, due to the ridiculous hire car fee.

Good point, the rents had a focus from avis for 2 months, couldn't have been cheap!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have had similar; another year with no claim and it went up 25% on renewal. Ignored that and searched for new company on comparison sites and found same cover for about 8% less. A week later my old company phones to check if I want to renew. Explain they are "not competitive" and they immediately offer to 'price match'. A debate ensues as to why they can do this all of a sudden and not give me that offer to start with. I then explain that they have had their chance and they can go and 'do one' if they think I'm staying with them!

Remember though many (most?) companies now automatically renew you unless you tell them in writing before policy expires. Just think how many people they get through this that can't be bothered to shop around and/or think they have to have it once it's started

^^ just had a text from my current insurer to advise me that my credit card details have expired and update for the automatic renewal. Price? So I got into my home emails and there it was, £616, up from last years £460 despite nothing happening other than me and my NCB increasing by one year. Way off the mark.

A quick comparison site assault course later, best quote FC with protected NCB and a load of extras I will take off for more cheapness was £389.00. Given that I live in an insurance black spot (damn those never spoken about demographics), I didn't think that was too bad.