Suspension Problems - Lowering shocks or coilovers?

Neill1056

Hi, i've got some 40mm lowering springs on my lupo at the moment. At the last mot the rear dampners got advisories for oil leaks and it feels like the suspension at the rear bottoms out with a creaking noise if anyone is in the back or we go over a bit of a dip/bump - is this common or are my dampners fecked?

I'm debating if I should get a set of sport shocks off ebay for about £110, some standard dampners or go all out and get coilovers. I'm very much on a budget so although i'd love some coilovers can't really stretch to them.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Lowering springs on standard dampers have been known to cause failures of the damper.

I'd suggest decent coilovers everytime, but as you said you have a limited budget and goof coilovers start at around £450.

It looks like half decent lowering kits, shocks and springs, start at just over £200.

If possible, try and save up for coilovers, will be worth it.

If thats not possible have a browse through here

http://www.venommotorsport.com/prod_category_search.php?db=suspension&category=Suspension%20Kits&make=VW&model=Lupo&universal=Yes

Take your pick of lowering kits.

@Mike, if the ap fixed kit is any where near as good as thier coilovers then a 40mm drop should be pretty comftable.

Going off reviews of the Ap coilovers, and my own personal experiance with them, it seems ap stuff is quite softly set up compared to other brands.

@Mike, if the ap fixed kit is any where near as good as thier coilovers then a 40mm drop should be pretty comftable.

Going off reviews of the Ap coilovers, and my own personal experiance with them, it seems ap stuff is quite softly set up compared to other brands.

To be honest mate, i find them too soft.

Also, they're only 3 years old and both the front shocks are leaking quite severely. When i spoke to AP, they said i need new units as they dont sell the seals separately.

I'm going for a fixed rate kit from Bilstein.