Insurance is £4000 for a 1.0 lupo, any tips to get it lower?

Drew94

Limited milage poliacy. Mum on as a named driver. Completely standard car for as long as you can take.

Go on a couple of comparison sites and see who gives you the lowest quote and then go to them directly.

Try and play insurance companies off each other, couple poeple I know have knocked £200/300 of their quotes doing this.

Post code makes a HUGE difference - it can halve it.

Try WR4 9FP which I know is category A (lowest risk)

Also, add your parents to the policy, that should bring it down a lot. However, assuming you're male and 17... you're screwed for your first year!!

Post code makes a HUGE difference - it can halve it.

Try WR4 9FP which I know is category A (lowest risk)

Also, add your parents to the policy, that should bring it down a lot. However, assuming you're male and 17... you're screwed for your first year!!

What good is quoting for a post code he doesn't live in though?

I'd like to take a moment to remind you all that lying about your insurance details is fraud and could invalidate your insurance, basically this means if you have a crash you'll not be insured. You are likely to be given 6 points on your license and a whopping great fine too, not to mention that when you do try to purchase insurance legitimately you're premiums could be double what you would have been paying had you insured it properly in the first place!

It's not worth it!

got it down to about £2800 with elephant took me a while of shopping around but i did it by, adding both of my parents and put the mileage down abit and lowered the value of the car and it dropped alot, cheers for the advice.

What good is quoting for a post code he doesn't live in though?

I'd like to take a moment to remind you all that lying about your insurance details is fraud and could invalidate your insurance, basically this means if you have a crash you'll not be insured. You are likely to be given 6 points on your license and a whopping great fine too, not to mention that when you do try to purchase insurance legitimately you're premiums could be double what you would have been paying had you insured it properly in the first place!

It's not worth it!

Indeed, but I thought he just wanted to see what impact it would have, I just know that's an "A" off the top of my head.

:)

• 4 months later...

I bought a 1.4 sport the insurance was cheaper than my 1.2 corsa before I think cause it's a first car they r idiots but also try having it do you have it on the road on insurance quotes some reason it makes em cheaper

I bought a 1.4 sport the insurance was cheaper than my 1.2 corsa before I think cause it's a first car they r idiots but also try having it do you have it on the road on insurance quotes some reason it makes em cheaper

Mine was £1700 when i started. (That was only a couple of years ago) There was a deal with the insurers i went with at the time (athough i would not recommend them due to they take ages to remove you from a policy and they try to take the money out of your bank account!)

Tips..

Put your parents on (saves you money)

MULTI CAR!!! anyone who car is registered at the same address, see if you can get a garage for rent, if you dont already have one for example if the garage costs £20pcm and it takes £50pcm off insurance thats a saving of £30pcm :) try investing to save etc ...... plus it give you a place to store the car out of the horrible weather and thieving ****s out there

Put Parents or other driving adults of several years experience on...(don't have to be named driver) and just do 3rd party fire and theft (unless u want all the rest) or do a multi-car thingy... thats what i did anyways... hope u get something! :)

Third party, fire and theft isn't always cheaper as they often think you'll be more of a risk if you don't want to insure your own car against any damage you cause.

You should always do a quote for fully comp first and then ask about third party second as it's generally more expensive for third party if you ask about it first.

Third party, fire and theft isn't always cheaper as they often think you'll be more of a risk if you don't want to insure your own car against any damage you cause.

You should always do a quote for fully comp first and then ask about third party second as it's generally more expensive for third party if you ask about it first.

The difference for third party fire and theft and comprehensive for me was £1000, comprehensive coming out more expensive on each quote.

Yeah, it surprised me that 3rd party was dearer than fully comp in some situations, but basically if you are third party you are saying you are willing to walk away from a crash with nothing, so I suppose it doesn't look like you give a monkeys about the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Can suggest the co op young insurance, although it's not for everyone! I'm 17, just passed and paying £900 on a 1.0 lupo in my own name. It is a tracked policy meaning they put a box in your car so you have to keep to speed limits etc but a small price to pay to save £2000 (IMO). There's a few more conditions such as no mods but if your willing to deal with this you can save a huge amount and get 1 years ncb then move on to a new policy which will be cheaper after a years driving and 1 year ncb!

There are several ways to knock the price down on the co-op (legitimately) for example, it's my policy but my mum is a named driver. I'm doing 1k miles a year and she is doing 22k. Some people may come back and say this is 'fronting' but it's the opposite. The co-op themselves have said to me it's fine to have named drivers doing more miles and there is no way to track who does what miles and as it's an estimate based on your last years driving if you don't do 23k combined you can lower it next year.