Aftermarket alarm on a GTI. Possible?

chris27

Hi. Ive done a quick search but couldn't find anything relating just for the GTI. Is it possible to fit an aftermarket alarm, say ebay jobby or toad system to a GTI as it already has the standard alarm fitted? Basically both remotes for my car are not working (cannot sync them and have tried batteries etc). At the moment i have to get into the car using the key, which actuates the alarm in till the ignition has been on for 2 or 3 seconds. Two new key remotes and coding will easily be more than an alarm kit that I could fit myself. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket alarm to a GTI? Will it not work due to the manufactures alarm, or is it a case of unplugging it and connecting the new one up to the relevant wires? Would total closure also be possible if wired correctly? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks

Sorry my first post is a bit vague! Its the remote central locking which is the problem. I want to know if I buy and fit an aftermarkert system, would this eliminate the need to use the vw key remote? My thinking was that say a clifford unit (which is cheaper than 2 vw key remotes alone) could be wired into the standard alarm loom.

Rich. Can you give more details on this CCM?

My GTI sometimes wont lock or unlock for no good reason I can work out yet. Any ideas? Batterys in car and fobs are fine. (I have mk4 fobs to get working today if I can)

Had remote fob issues with my Mk5 Golf the other week where I was getting closer and closer to the glass for them to work.

Got a couple of new remote sections quite cheap and got my mate at VW to sync them up for free and now the new ones work from miles away and the old ones are dying slowly so buried away at the moment...........so before replacing the CCM try and sync some new transponders

Cheers Mike. Im finding it confused with door blanks fitted tho as I have to do somthing with a scredriver in a hole in door apparently. Or find a mate with VAG Com. Any idea how to do on VAG com? Can you do it on the freebie version?

Got the blanks cut. Just need to sync them. I think James could talk me through it. Somthing about removing the blank with door open and put a screw driver in.

Well here is the story so far. My mate had a spare remote (new with the code attached) which i tried to get VW to code. They where unable to code as they could not connect to the control unit. They still charged me about £70 despite not being able to code the key. After a brief chat with the service manager we agreed that they would have the car for a day to try and further diagnose it for free, as so far I had been charged for nothing! Whether they did actually look at the car is anyones guess, but the result was that they couldn't work out why, and wanted several more hours to check the wiring loom to the instrument cluster - they also said that they still may not know what was wrong with the car and may again require more diagnosis time plus potential parts. I obviously didn't bother with that due to cost and the fact it sounded like pure guess work by them. I had previously been able to connect to the alarm control unit using vagcom, but admittedly I haven't tried since taking the car to VW as I no longer have the software. Is the alarm module separate to the comfort module and does anyone know the locations of them? I have tried to re sync the key in the door etc but had no luck. A guy at work then mentioned an auto locksmith he knew. He had a look and repaired the key for me. The remote central locking then worked fine again for a few months but the key has given up again! I don't want to start guessing and buying comfort and alarm modules to have VW unable to connect again wasting more time and money! As when the key was repaired it was all working fine, I was thinking the cheapest and easiest way would be to install a different remote locking kit, and wire it in so that the signal from the aftermarket remote then acts like the signal from the original VW key remote. If anyone has wiring diagrams for me to look at, that would be amazing :)

Edited by chris27

Anyone? Also forgot to say that when you use the key in the drivers door it will lock both doors, but when opening it will only open the drivers door. Unlocking and locking in the passenger door will lock/unlock both doors. Could the problem be within the drivers door itself?

Edited by chris27