slack on accelerator pedal?

It's caused by the spindle on the mini cable on the potentiometer slipping.

about £12 and a lot of fiddling about to fix.

You'll find if you use the measuring blocks on vagcom you aren't getting a full throttle response because of this.

i think i have this same problem, when i got my car i thought the pedal didnt have much travel, and if i took my foot under the pedal, i has a very small amount of travel upwards. does that match your problem nathan?

Everyone has slack on the pedal unless they've looked into the phenomenon and fixed it.

I did once debate doing a 'how to' but I chose not to because when you do these things you just get idiots who need further clarification pm'ing and asking stupid questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old post but, my pedal had dropped too and it was really annoying me so decided to have a go at fixing it.

To specify more, my pedal was sat really low and only had about 5cm travel down and I could put my foot under it and pull it back to be in line with the other pedals.

And this is for fly by wire not cable.

Now this was by far the most fiddly job I have done so far, because really to get to it you should take out the pedal box, or dashboard because its right up near the top of the dash and hard to get to.

Take off the cover under the dash near the pedals

Remove the steering covers and the section of dash behind that too

Now push your seat as far back as possible and get on the floor looking upwards and you should see the top of your pedal the end of the pot, the red arrow in the picture below is what you are looking for

potau.jpg

On mine the nut had loosened and the metal had slipped around so I had lost about 50% throttle

to fix this I took the old nut off, fixed the pedal up by wedging something underneath it, rotated the metal section into its original place, got a locking nut the same size (10cm) and replaced the nut that was on and tightened it up.

Tightening it up again is a bitch as it wants to rotate as you are tightening so you just have to have patience.

Now hopefully with a locking nut it should not loosen and drop again

Put all panels back on

My pedal sits at the right height now and the car shifts when I plant my foot

This relatively easy job took me about 3 hours of fiddling because of where it was located and I'm sure I wouldn't have managed it if I had larger hands