GTi NA Power upgrade

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Well if its of interest to anyone, im going to machine up some solid Tappets (or lifters as there also known) and shim them to get the correct valve clearance. Only downer is that you will need to either make or borrow (from me) the cam carrier to set up your clearance.

The more i make the cheaper they are!

By replacing the hydraulic lifters with solid ones made slightly shorter, then when i measure the valve clearance use custom made shims to sit under the custom made lifters to get the correct gaps!

Only expence that i will incur will be, excluding my time, Hardining to 48 rockwell, and the cost of the cam holder.

Waits for Dubya to add his 2 pennith worth....................... coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Also where can i get schrick cams from for the lupo in the UK?

Edited by dub-love

Well if its of interest to anyone, im going to machine up some solid Tappets (or lifters as there also known) and shim them to get the correct valve clearance. Only downer is that you will need to either make or borrow (from me) the cam carrier to set up your clearance.

The more i make the cheaper they are!

Why are you doing this?

do you not think the stock hydralic tappets are up for much then?

Matey above is right, the gti valvetrain is horrendous, AFH 1.4 head is where it is at

Why are you doing this?

do you not think the stock hydralic tappets are up for much then?

Im going to rev higher, plus im making the engine as close to tolerance as i can get, its not going to cost me much money either so might as well.

As to the 1.4 engine, i have 2 gti engines so why would i want to buy a 1.4?

what different on the 1.4 head ? and what stops you from fitting the 1.4 head to the 1.6 block ? i was under the assumption that the casting was the same ?

External casting: Same

Internal castings and waterways: VERY Different

the 1.4 head uses a proper valvetrain as in cam > tappet > Valve

rather than gti with its Cam> tappet + roller rocker faggoty thing > valve

So is this the 1.4 head from a sport or from any 1.4 lupo engine?

Whats to stop you putting the 1.4 head on the gti block?

I understand what you are saying with the 1.4 head, but other than binning the vvt and running verniers and the better valve train, thats the only difference?

Also it defeats the object that im after! im looking to get as many horses out of the gti lump as i can! Even if its not as much as the 1.4!

Remember this is not a lupo cup car its just something i want to try, if i get no power gains then never mind on the next one it will defo go low blow!

Cheers for your input tho Jez, its always good when you have other opinions.

You are going to rev higher, so you think that the stock tappets are not up for revving this high? or you just want to change them for the sake of it?

Changing them to solid, as im sure you know that at high rpm you get oil pressure loss and the tappets start to work less efficent.

Just trying to make it as strong and reliable as i can!

Same set up as the aston martin engine?

Jez are you talking about the 1.4 heads on the old style polo ? the one with that you posted a pic of in fluxco advert ? (with the twin cam sprokets)

if not you saying that the new style lupo head uses hydraulic buckets .. cam -bucket-valve ? wich has the same casting as the gti, but the gti has cam-rocker-valve ... ?

Jez are you talking about the 1.4 heads on the old style polo ? the one with that you posted a pic of in fluxco advert ? (with the twin cam sprokets)

if not you saying that the new style lupo head uses hydraulic buckets .. cam -bucket-valve ? wich has the same casting as the gti, but the gti has cam-rocker-valve ... ?

all the new 16v small blocks have the roller rocker setup, i have a polo gti engine in my garage where something nasty has happened and the valvetrain has destroyed its self and bent the holes that the lifters go into. leaving two bent holes and a tappet that has exploded all over the place, (found bits of it in the sump...) and the roller/rocker ended up two valves along inside the rocker cover, nasty mess i tell ya

and yes, im talking about the old style polo 16v heads

which are nice and simple biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

there's a big dicsussion about what engine is best to use but we have already seen 180 horse from Dubya's gti.

is it??

Whats the spec on that badboy?

I've got what I think is the fastest naturally aspirated Lupo out there. Currently I've limited the power by limiting the revs.

I have rolling road tested it at 185bhp @ 7500 rpm. More power is available, it's just a matter of how reliable it would be if I let it have another 1000 revs. We saw over 190 bhp when we let it go up to 8000.

As ever, big power doesn't come cheap so be prepared for frequent visits to the bank manager!

Basically you need to start with the 1400 engine and head. The 1600 head has limitations. I know. as I tried that first. Even VW Motorsport in Germany had trouble getting the 1.6 valve gear to be reliable. They did offer to supply me a prepared engine and head but only on the basis the I leased it and returned it to them whenever there was a problem. Expensive and a big hassle.

With a change of crank and rods from the 1600 to the 1400 and some new pistons you get 1600 or a little more with an overbore.

It's not too tricky but there are some bits which I ended up getting fabricated like the exhaust and inlet manifold. Apart from that it was off the shelf.

Well what cams are you using and what ecu?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Right I have been thinking about a power upgrade for some time now and after thoughts of a 1.8T, turbocharging my Gti engine and attempting to get a supercharger I have settled on my old favourite (and something I have done before) and started looking at normally aspirated power.

I want `190-210bhp` from the Gti engine by whatever means possible. Thinking major head work and cams, throttle bodies, management and any other tricks possible.

I heard rumours of a 205bhp Lupo Gti engine that was normally aspirated but cant remember the source of this. Can anyone help as come summer my warranty will be out and I want some power.

Hi Mate. I reckon I've had the most power out of a gti engine. I raced it in the VW cup a couple of seasons ago. I limited it to 7,400 revs and had a comfy 185 bhp. Taking the limiter up would easily have found another 10 hp.

Apart from my engine, I do know that VW motorsport in Germany had a 220 bhp version but they had real problems with cams and followers failing.

Get your cheque book ready because neither option was cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

sorg rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> well mine is.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So you want 200bhp from a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated engine?

Sell your GTI for £5,000 and buy a Honda Integra Type R JDM for £5,000. If you are very luck you might be able to get a 98 spec otherwise your mainly looking at a 96 spec.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To answer your question............

External casting: Same

Internal castings and waterways: VERY Different

the 1.4 head uses a proper valvetrain as in cam > tappet > Valve

:cheers:

• 6 months later...

bring this back, i now have shriek(excuse my spelling) cams in. Early next year perhaps this i will be fitting itb jenveys and an aftermarket ecu. At the same time polish porting etc. Hopefully by then kam racing will have a manifold i can get. With the fly wheel i may get this lightened but have heard bad things. So question is aswell who has most powerfull na lupo engine in the uk/world, know it wont be me but i'd like to think i would be up there.

bring this back, i now have shriek(excuse my spelling) cams in. Early next year perhaps this i will be fitting itb jenveys and an aftermarket ecu. At the same time polish porting etc. Hopefully by then kam racing will have a manifold i can get. With the fly wheel i may get this lightened but have heard bad things. So question is aswell who has most powerfull na lupo engine in the uk/world, know it wont be me but i'd like to think i would be up there.

I'll have a inlet manifold in the next couple of days which should have ports and bolt that match up.. if it is ok I'll be able to offer a kit pretty quickly.