Mpg!

NexG

2000 rpm seems a bit high

Not really my 306 D Turbo had a torque band that started at 3000rpm, and since then I got used to driving high revving Japanese VVTI engines before the van, so 2000 seems low to me.

I know yours is an SDI not a TDI, but still? According to wikipedia peak power is at 4200 revs and peak torque at 2200.

thank you for all your replies :) if i was driving around that rpm to get to the speed im going i would need to be in 3rd gear! lol, thing is i drove a petrol mazda3 before, this is my first diesel car so im possibly not driving like i should?

sometimes when driving, if i put more accelarator on it doesnt seem to boost me that much, but that could just be me, i dont expect to get super performance out of it, i knew what i was getting myself into when i bought it lol

the mpg is just doing my nut in cause i bought it to save on fuel lol

Hello NexG :wave:

I've just started a thread where I got 703.2 miles from a tank before the low fuel light came on. I worked it out to be an average of 84mpg over that distance :)

I'd agree with what has been said before about driving styles, but is your car rolling well? Damogti mentioned that the brakes could be binding. If you can get to the top of a hill and put the car into neutral, see whether you gain or lose speed, and listen out for any unusual noises. If you lose speed faster than you're expecting, it could be that the brakes are sticking on.

Also, are you filling the tank as well as the expansion tank? There's a black button inside the fuel filler neck, on the right. If you push that in, you'll squeeze an extra ten litres in.

Hope that helps :)

I've recently got a large hole in my exhaust but noticed fuel efficiency dropping slightly and gradually increasing until really noticing the exhaust problem this could possibly be the case for you aswell?

?

Hello NexG :wave:

I've just started a thread where I got 703.2 miles from a tank before the low fuel light came on. I worked it out to be an average of 84mpg over that distance :)

Also, are you filling the tank as well as the expansion tank? There's a black button inside the fuel filler neck, on the right. If you push that in, you'll squeeze an extra ten litres in.

Hope that helps :)

hey, can you show me where this button is? is it this by anychance?

DSC00807.jpg

and how did you manage 84mpg?!? is your car modified much? or is it down to driving style?

Edited by James827

A lot of variables to range.

Mechanical condition for sure.

Driving style would come into play; if you want to accelerate either put the pedal down and wait for the engine to catch up (wasteful), or change down to get into the peak torque range (better).

I could increase my van range by about 12% just by upping the tyre pressure from 45 to 50 psi. Not much fun hitting pot holes though ;-) Same again with sitting at 60 on motorway instead of 70, that got me about 10% on motorway journeys. From getting van 'til now I've increased range on a tank from 650 to 720 just by modifying my driving style and pumping up my tyres.

On my Corolla I lost about 10% of my range when I changed tyre brand from a softer one with lower rolling resistance to a harder one.

Even tyre widths - there is a reason the 3L has skinny 4.5J tyres - less rolling resistance.

Then there is aero considerations. Do you drive with your windows down? Can affect economy by as much as 5%. Spoilers? They increase downforce at the cost of increased drag.

Do you have air con? Another economy sapper.

hey, can you show me where this button is? is it this by anychance?

DSC00807.jpg

and how did you manage 84mpg?!? is your car modified much? or is it down to driving style?

That's it! When the tank is full, rest the fuel nozzle on that button (by pushing it away from you) and you'll hear a whoosh of air. Then you'll be able to get another ten litres in :)

My SDi is not modified in any way. As Puggled said, it's all down to driving style and the condition of the car. She's completely standard and I was just driving really carefully.