Lupo GTI Windscreen...

Kent

Right after my windscreen cracking today rang autoglass who wanted £490..... and then a local place who would fit it for £132. The thing is, all they are asking is if my Lupo has a rain sensor or not............

I've heard that the glass on the standard Lupo is different to the GTI for the front windscreen. The windscreens don't have a part number on and he just said their part number for the screen is LGR 7607.

And that they are the same for all Lupos just optional rain sensor (lol) .. is this right?

None have a rain sensor that I know of. Was this windscreen used on any other cars?

I have read on here that the glass on GTIs is thinner, but not seen anything definitive, these are the part numbers I can find...

6X0 845 011 K windshield glass (laminated) clear glass with view window for vin number

6X0 845 011 E windshield glass (laminated) green with view window for vin number

6E0 845 011 E windshield glass (laminated) green LUPO 3L TDI, GTI,FSI with view window for vin number

Go through your insurance. You normally only pay the excess which was £60 but think it has recently increased to £70

The GTI windscreen is thiner but cant say you would notice the difference to be honest.

I don't want to go through insurance as the lad who broke it is paying, as I know it does go against you on renewal. So don't want it slightly on my back if you get how I mean.

None have a rain sensor that I know of. Was this windscreen used on any other cars?

I have read on here that the glass on GTIs is thinner, but not seen anything definitive, these are the part numbers I can find...

6X0 845 011 K windshield glass (laminated) clear glass with view window for vin number

6X0 845 011 E windshield glass (laminated) green with view window for vin number

6E0 845 011 E windshield glass (laminated) green LUPO 3L TDI, GTI,FSI with view window for vin number

It's just a local windscreen replacement company. They gave me a part number of LGR 7607 so not VW one. Which is why I'm a bit confused. I doubt mine will come with a rear view mirror on either will it? Although it is a RAC sponsored garage.

I just noticed that, urgh!! Thing is I can't find anything out about their part number. :huh:

There's isn't a VW one. Just a generic Lupo, when they arrive tomorrow and take old one out I'll compare them then go from there.

I bet lots of people have had a new windscreen for their Lupo GTi's and just rang autoglass or somewhere local and got the same as me but not questioned it and never noticed or known about their being a difference.

How is the mirror actually stuck to the screen as will need to put it on the new one as I doubt it will come with one. Is it just a sticky pad or glue?

Edited by Kent

My GTI is now on its 4th screen, and I can definitely confirm that they are thinner and lighter than a normal Lupo screen. I had to battle with Autoglass to get the right screen fitted to mine on ALL occasions, but they got there in the end. They even tried to fob me off with paying more for a genuine screen, so a quick call to my insurance company soon sorted that out!

The screen should come with the mount for the rear view mirror already attached to it, as the mirror is a slide-on job, so nothing tricky there!

Looks like I'm getting fobbed off then, problem is I'm not going through the insurance!!!! So you've had to get Autoglass to get the screen direct from VW rather than them using other brands?

Thats going to cost more and problem is ive taken £ off lad whos paying for the windscreen as I didnt realise until after that the gti screen differed!!!

Can you only get the lighter/thinner glass direct from VW? Whats stamped on your replacement screens.

Thanks

The original GTi screen is made by Saint-Gobain Sekurit. In fact all the GTI this glass is made by them. The regular lupo glass had Pilkington stamped on it.

From my recent experience Sekurit are still the only manufacturer of the GTI specific screen. They supply VW (these screens are branded Sekurit and have the VW logo stamped on them). They also supply screens directly to the trade - these screens do not have the VW logo on (I was disappointed to find this out after it had been fitted) but the glass is still the same.

VW quoted me circa £130 and they have plenty left in Germany.

In the end though I did it through insurance as it only cost me £70 excess, and if they broke it when fitting then I wouldn't have had to pay for another screen.

If they don't believe you then do what I did - take the car down and wind down the windows! They will be surprised by how thin the glass is B)

Its a mobile fitter coming out, ill clarify with him and show him the windows then! I hate it when they dont believe you on the phone and he kept asking if I had rain sensors!!!

Thankyou!!! Ill check the stamps!

Yep, apart from the heated rear screen. Front windows are definitely thinner and are Sekurit not Pilkington. I haven't personally measured the thickness of the rear windows but they are also Sekurit glass compared with the Pilkington of a regular Lupo.

GTi glass =3mm

Non GTi = 5mm

They really put a lot of effort into making the GTI!

The thing is theyre coming tomorrow, but I cant find anything with his part number!!!!! Not a clue which glass they will bring!!!

I bet they will end up wanting more £ for the Sekurit glass, for 2mm I might just go with what they bring as it wont look noticeably different and it's not like I'm stripping it out and worried about weight!

Hmmmmmmmm.......

The thing is, all they are asking is if my Lupo has a rain sensor or not............

They ask the same for the polo GTIs. I've only know of one apparently coming from factory with the rain sensors, but I think that was foreign. It does mean that some people have been able to retrofit the rain sensors, buy getting the glass and the correct mirror and wiring.

If your getting the glass from Worcester autoglass they are pretty decent, they ordered in glass for my passenger window when my car got broken into, they pointed out the glass wasn't 100% perfect, so left it in and ordered me the glass from VW and fitted it as soon as it arrived to them. so I woulnt have thought they'll give you many problems if you turn around to them an say it's wrong

They ask the same for the polo GTIs. I've only know of one apparently coming from factory with the rain sensors, but I think that was foreign. It does mean that some people have been able to retrofit the rain sensors, buy getting the glass and the correct mirror and wiring.

If your getting the glass from Worcester autoglass they are pretty decent, they ordered in glass for my passenger window when my car got broken into, they pointed out the glass wasn't 100% perfect, so left it in and ordered me the glass from VW and fitted it as soon as it arrived to them. so I woulnt have thought they'll give you many problems if you turn around to them an say it's wrong

I tried autoglass and they wanted £490... but £390 if I paid then with a debit card.. obviously just want people to go through insurance so you only worry about the £60 and they con the insurance out of the rest.

I've gone with AutoWindscreens LTD they're in the Butts Worcester, spoke to the manager who was sound and he said £132. Which I thought was pretty reasonable!! So got them booked for tomorrow morning. Just hope they're good, their website is good.

I'm sure they will be fine! if the worse comes to the worst I can see how much it'll be from VW with my boyfriends discount. I've found a lot of things cheaper thru VW then the internet, or other car parts stores

I'm sure they will be fine! if the worse comes to the worst I can see how much it'll be from VW with my boyfriends discount. I've found a lot of things cheaper thru VW then the internet, or other car parts stores

Thankyou!! I'll see how it goes with them. :)

Only other thing is... how does the mirror base come off the sticky pad mine doesn't seem to rotate 90degrees.... it's all off the windscreen anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 6 months later...

I have to get my windscreen replaced,

and would like to know if somebody knows the reference of the large plastic part which is at the bottom of the windscreen (between it and the bonnet) where the wiper blades are fixed.

Mine is cracked on one side and I would like to replace it with the windscreen.

thanks for your help.

Thanks to this topic, I had my windscreen replaced with the genuine Saint Gobain reference, not the basic Lupo one as they did on the 2 previous replacements.

However, I just noticed that there is a small gap with the seal at each corner in top of the windscreen.

Do you have the same on yours ?

2rwlwck.jpg

Edited by J-Dub