Lupo GTI Windscreen...

Kent

I tried to annotate the picture to get it clearer (what I call "hole" is more a gap)

Do you mean that there is another larger rubber under the one pictured ?

I'm kinda fussy (not sure it's the right word to use) on that because I know how hard leaks are to locate, and I don't want to have a bad surprise next time it rains

spc380.jpg

Edited by J-Dub

Was the screen replaced via your insurance company?

How did you explain that the GTI requires a Sekurit screen?

I need my GTI screen replaced but am too worried they dont get me the correct screen.

I started this thread to aid some assistance.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86281&hl=&fromsearch=1

Indeed, it has been replaced via my insurance company.

In fact, I didn't have to inform my insurance company of that difference (specially as I knew that both windscreens cost about the same price).

Note that I'm from France so I don't know if the procedure is the same for you.

I called some windscreen fitters companies, to get a quote, and just explained them that difference. Most of them were not believing me, and told me they only have 1 reference for Lupo in their database. Then I went to VW dealer and the guy working at spare parts department gave me the address of a center they often work with, and which only fits genuine windscreens.

So I just had to give to that center a quick phone call and asked the guy for ref 6E0 845 011 E. It was OK for him so he ordered it and I got it fitted the day after.

edit: I forgot to say than it was even cheaper than the other companies which quoted for a standard windscreen.

Hope that helps.

Edited by J-Dub

• 5 years later...

I know all of the glazing combined saves 3.1kg in weight over a normal Lupo, not sure what the windscreen on its own saves though, but I can say that when you lift a GTI windscreen, it is considerably lighter than a standard windscreen.

10 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

I know all of the glazing combined saves 3.1kg in weight over a normal Lupo, not sure what the windscreen on its own saves though, but I can say that when you lift a GTI windscreen, it is considerably lighter than a standard windscreen.

Ok thanks for the reply. I was very surprised to be honest just on the difference with one of the side windows GTI/Standard.. 

I have 4mm polycarb front door windows so perhaps the next thing is a GTI windscreen and polycarb the rear. Seems worth it if I can find one cheap enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Ok so those who have a Gti this is the code that autoglass uses for the sekurit thinner glass windscreen..

8560agnvz1a

this is only used by autoglass ...

They will however tell you that it doesn't exsist and that there's no such thing as thinner glass..

then send them the pic attached.. And tell them they can phone vw if they don't believe you ...

they will then order it....

I've had the incorrect one (fy) glass fitted by them and it leaked .. I then got them to fit the proper one above , that one has cracked now and I'm trying to get them to fit it again... But .. They've just turned up with the wrong one .. Again.

image.png

Edited February 10, 2016 by LexG