Hi guys and gals there have been a lot of questions about retrofitting MFD satnav units into Lupos.

As i have spent the last few months researching them i thought i would write a few of the frequent questions up and answer them.

What is the MFD?

MFD stands for multi function display and its a vw branded sat nav unit that was in production around the same time as the lupo. They are a popular OEM style modification and with a bit of knowledge and time you can retrofit one.

Will it fit my Lupo:

The MFD should be able to be retrofitted to any Lupo model as long as it has a GALA pulse

So how do i check i have GALA?

To check for a GALA signal you need to remove your head unit and check for a blue and white wire at pin 1 of your radio power connector. If you have a GAMA radio unit you will also be able to verify if you have GALA by checking if your volume adjusts up and down as you speed up/slow down.

There are different MFD units on eBay which can i use?

You can use MFD-D or MFD-G units in a Lupo those are the only two verified units that work. MFD 2 and 3 wont work as they are the wrong shape.

What will i need?

1 VW MFD Unit make sure you have its code

1 Plug and Play connector

1 GPS antenna with a SMB connector

4 release keys for future use

A maps disk

How do i install a MFD?

This is really simple disconnect and remove your standard head-unit and remove anything in the double din slot of your Lupo.

Next connect the plug and play lead to the power block at the female end put the male end into its slot on the MFD plug the audio connector block in as normal and plug in the 26pin connector to its slot. You can also either put the switch somewhere or just solder the two wires together.

Nest plug in your gps lead to its slot and push the retaining lever over the connection. You will then need to put the GPS ariel somewhere. I chose to put mine in the little area above the radio between the two foam blocks. Next connect your radio ariel and push the MFD back but not in until you've tested it.

Turn on the unit and it will ask for its security code enter this and the unit will start.

Make sure your navigation CD is in the slot and if you need to insert it wait for a few seconds for the disk to load.

Then press navi and scroll to info mode. You should now see a map wait until it updates to where you are and go for a drive. The unit will be miles out at first as its calibrating but after a while it should be about right.

The your done :-)

Ive heard that i cant play cds is that right?

Yes and no. The CD slot in the MFD unit only reads map cds and nothing else so you need to add a VW 6 cd changer. You can go for either a dash mounted one and relocate it or a boot mounted one. Plug it in using its blue connector at the rear of the unit. You must use a 6 CD changer. You can also use the standard vw single disk player if you wish.

What if i want an iPod/aux in port?

There are a few options here you can use an adapter lead that goes into the unit via a separate port, a CD changer emulator or one of the above with a port that lets you keep the changer functional. These are available on eBay or you can try and get a Denision.

Can you do it for me :lol: ?

Come to Norwich and i will :lol:

I think that should cover it but if you need more information let me know and i will try and add it

Hope this helps

Chris

:-)

Edited by madmanncfc
  • Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.