no power going into the starter motor

Hi can someone help me as i am losing hope on ever getting my loop starting again.

Although i must admit at this stage im no pro mechanic,but ive still managed to check a lot of things rule out which i am quite proud about actually.To the point.

The problem is :Turn ignition on,dashboard lights up everything works including cigerette lighter,turn the key fully no life from starter.Jump starts perfectly.

So far i have replaced igniiton switch,checked all fuses (including the ones under the bonnet),checked relays(went as far as opening them up and physically checking for burn marks these relays do make clicking noises when turning ignition key), took starter out,both starter and solenoid work perfectly they both move/make a noise.Tested for current going to the starter and thier isn't any,why is this?.Tested the earth which works fine but the (thinner red signal connector wire seems not to have any current when ignition is fully turned.

I have previously posted this problem before without much response,i am sure with the amount of membership here more people can help me with this problem,as its not just a light on the dashboard,my car is basically disabled, been over a week now since i had this problem with my car,life is tough without a car,must've walked miles this week.

Anyways if anybody has technical experience on this please could you reply,someone must have come across this problem on a lupo before.Its a standard 1.0 w reg.

And just to add vagcom comes back with nothing/completly clean.Strange.

Edited by fass

Rather than working out where you haven't got power have you worked where you have got power as the starting motor circuit isn't one of the most complicated ones on the car !

Rather than working out where you haven't got power have you worked where you have got power as the starting motor circuit isn't one of the most complicated ones on the car !

yes i have power going in to the switch as i tested both positive and negative,i also have power coming from the + terminal into the starter.Earthing all the way upto starter/gearbox is perfect.but i have yet been unable to receive voltage from the red signal wire that is attached to the starter via connector when i have fully turned the key.

so you have to appreciate that this not a simple on/off operation operated by a switch.IT S COMPLEX

any ideas why thier is no power from signal wire please?is there a diagram available online?

yes i have power going in to the switch as i tested both positive and negative,i also have power coming from the + terminal into the starter.Earthing all the way upto starter/gearbox is perfect.but i have yet been unable to receive voltage from the red signal wire that is attached to the starter via connector when i have fully turned the key.

so you have to appreciate that this not a simple on/off operation operated by a switch.IT S COMPLEX

any ideas why thier is no power from signal wire please?is there a diagram available online?

But it IS 'a simple on/off operation operated by a switch'.

You say you've checked the solenoid and the power to the switch. That only leaves the switch itself or the wire between it and the solenoid. Find the red/black wire on the back of the switch. Have you got 12V there when you turn the key to the crank position? If not, the problem lies with the switch. If there is, trace that red/black wire back to the solenoid, checking for the point were there is no voltage (don't check for current - there will be no current anywhere in an open circuit). There are two inline connectors in that circuit. The first is under the relay carrier (under the dash by your right knee). The other will be in the engine bay somewhere.

But it IS 'a simple on/off operation operated by a switch'.

You say you've checked the solenoid and the power to the switch. That only leaves the switch itself or the wire between it and the solenoid. Find the red/black wire on the back of the switch. Have you got 12V there when you turn the key to the crank position? If not, the problem lies with the switch. If there is, trace that red/black wire back to the solenoid, checking for the point were there is no voltage (don't check for current - there will be no current anywhere in an open circuit). There are two inline connectors in that circuit. The first is under the relay carrier (under the dash by your right knee). The other will be in the engine bay somewhere.

thank you very much for your help,it turned out to be the switch in the end,just did not check it properly.fitted new switch,engine now turns but ont start, vag com is giving an immobiliser fault.any ideas on how to fix this