How to: Install aftermarket front speakers

Just thought id show people how you can install mids without hacking the original grill up as a fair few people seem already to have done!

The Rivetted in speaker was drilled out and removed. This left some mounting holes. I fitted some U' type nuts (size 10 - 12 Screws) to the door. Can get these from halfrauds.

door_clips.jpg

After doing this i had to make the speaker baffle. For my speakers I used 18mm mdf for the speaker baffle the joined to a 15 mm mdf base. This all depends on the depth of the speaker. so measure carefully with the window wound down.

I had to offset the 18mm baffle( to the left on this side) so that the original speaker grill could be fitted in place. Otherwise it would touch the door pocket on the inside. Keep refitting the door pocket and check that its goin to clear before joining pieces together.

Dynamat extreme was put around the mounting location to prevent any vibration. i used two layers 'cos the U' nuts didn't allow the ring to fit flush to the door.Cut out holes over u nuts to allow screws to be fitted.(note :- I will be dynamatting the whole door at a later date)

dynamted.jpg

This shows the speaker baffle fitted to the door. Not how the mounting screws have cutouts in top baffle for clearance. and is about 8mm to the left. Th top baffle was trimmed exactly to the edge of the speaker for max clearance of the door pocket. You should keep trial fitting the speaker to make sure it fits flush and doesn't stop window from goin all the way down.

speaker_ring.jpg

Speaker in postion.

speaker_in_position.jpg

The grill will fit into position with the speaker in place :D

Edited by nfbr
Cleaned by: nfbr.