Engine lost power, stalled from 2k revs, now won't start

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, an update: The camshaft pully belt had some teeth missing. The head has been skimmed, 8 new valves fitted, new head gasket fitted. It would also appear that the bottom end of the engine has now seized, possibly a dropped piston ring. At best it's going to be a bent piston or conrod. What was going to be a £550 bill has turned into at least £1000, maybe even 1500 when the bottom end is rebuilt.

All thanks to some teeth going on the cambelt. Fitted 3 years, 5 months ago, or 28k miles.

Get you belts checked please :angry:

Yes all from the same side, I think it was the inlet side, corresponding with the two cylinders that had no compression, so there's a bit of consistency there I guess?

It will be sorted, just a lot of dollar. I guess I'm keeping the little red motor until it turns into dust now, after putting that much cash into fixing it. Some have said get rid and buy something else, the trouble is you never know what you have with another car - I do know the history of this one, it has been well looked after (apart from this damn belt anyway!). Even if I fitted a reconditioned engine, it could just happen again because I don't know how well it's been built/treated? I've had them in my old Rovers and frankly they felt rough as hell.

That's the thing, once this is done the engine should last forever, just be sure they replace the valve guides if any play, cheap item but saves a little bit of burning oil

That's the thing, once this is done the engine should last forever, just be sure they replace the valve guides if any play, cheap item but saves a little bit of burning oil