Engine lost power, stalled from 2k revs, now won't start

My GTi felt like it was losing power a little whilst on the m6 tonight, as I pulled up the sliproad off junction 10 it stalled at about 2k revs, and hasn't started since. The engine is turning over fine, it just won't fire. The plugs and coil packs are checked fine, there is power to everything, the fuel pump appears to be buzzing as usual when you turn the ignition on, the epc light goes out, along with the "check" light and the abs light on the dashboard when you turn the key, the battery light stays on....

Help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was the immobilisor it would start then cut out.

As Casper says check the sparks are firing, and check fuel is getting to the cylinders

Get it on VAGCOM if you can, saves guessing

For a moment I thought it may be the fuel pump, as I didn't hear it whirring when you turn the ignition on first time....now I'm not so sure, plus which I've had a look through the fuses in the fuse box in case it's something REALLY stupid! Got an auto electrician coming out after lunch today, fingers crossed when he plugs his gear in it will give us a clue....'cos I'm all out of ideas!

Halfords sell compression testers for £20 which includes said adaptor. If your commute to work is anywhere near bedworth you're more than welcome to borrow mine

That's very kind, unfortunately it's nowhere near! Wolves to Smethwick, about 12 miles I think.....whilst I would like to think that I could attempt to fix this myself, my skills (or lack thereof), lack of proper tools and the need to get it sorted asap as I need my car for work mean I'm going to have to get the garage to take a look. Midland VW have serviced the GTi since I've owned it, and I know they are decent at what they do so it looks like they will be getting some of my savings...