Insurance company gone wrong, No insurance, pulled over.

clicks

Hello guys,

Was hoping you could help me, Father took out policy in feb and didn't put me on as I didn't need to drive but then mother came ill and I needed to drive her to hospital so he added me in March and last night I get stopped by the police and they say I am not insured, and that they would seize the car and I would get 6points and summons, I had the cover note for the entire length of policy so they did not seize my car but did say they would call up my insurance company (Aviva) to check and then would summons me if it came back as no insurance.. My father rang up insurance company and they said I was added only as temp, argued and got nowere. So now basically I'm facing court summons and 6points (ban).

Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this.

Much appreciated

Yes but only an additional payment of £50. Basically what happened is, I was added on as temp first.. The same day my father called to say add me on as permanent(they apparently have no record of this).. The aviva lady said this change will take effect after the temp period is over, so my father assumed as we received cover note I was insured.

I assume the covernote covers last nights date?

If so I can't see how they can issue a cover note without putting it on the system.

In the end, it is your responsibility to ensure you are legal.

It covered from 6th March - Feb 2012. That's what my father told the manager of Aviva, she goes my colleague issued it in mistake and that I was not on the policy. Would really help if it was a UK call centre :(

How old are you, Do you have your own car and are you fully comp on that?

TBH if you are young did you expect to be covered on a car for aany period of time (months) for only £50 notes, did you not question the fact that no other policy paperwork was sent to your house with your name added as a named driver?

(Off my gf who works for an insurance company) Send a letter to the servicing team and request all of your information and calls under the data protection , this may cost you £10 but will be worth it. If that fails then get a copy of your phone bill to show when the call was made and send it to their customer relations team asking for more information explaining your circumstances.

Seeing as you haven't claimed, they may allow you to pay the back money and therefore cover you. Worth a try.

Indeed.

If not, go the Insurance Ombudsman if Aviva dont play ball, get as much of a paper trail as you can (including transcripts of calls made to the insurance company - you can get the times/dates from your phone records) and go to court with that, if it would be reasonable to expect that you beleive you were covered and the mag is in a good mood you may be ok

If you have a cover note stating your insured why worry? Go to court with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Bikerz. You paid Aviva some money and they issued a cover note for a stated period. How are you to know what goes on (or not) behind Aviva's closed doors after you put the phone down?

It's at times like this that "That's Life" proved invaluable.

Wont work Im afraid, lots of people pay for a years insurance, get the certificate and then cancel the policy. The piece of paper is pretty much worthless if the ins co wont back it up

• 2 weeks later...

I work for an insurance company. As said earlier they will have all the calls recorded. If you can find out when your father made the call under a "data request" the have to supply you with all the details/notes and calls they have dealt with. Depending on what the calls say/notes show you may have a case.

Data request costs a maximum of £10.

Aviva would rather sort it out themselves rather than pay a £500 case fee at the ombudsman.

Wont work Im afraid, lots of people pay for a years insurance, get the certificate and then cancel the policy. The piece of paper is pretty much worthless if the ins co wont back it up

I know that is a common one. However still worth a go, if you ask me, you have nothing to loose (well a day off work if your self employed)