Lupo S - GTI Hub conversion

smitty12

I've converted the front hubs, calipers on my Lupo S to Lupo GTI 256 brake set up.

The tracking seems to be well out when driving and the wheels dont seem like they will align

What is different between the standard S set up and the GTI set up? Thought bottom ball joints but apparenatly they are all exactly the same across the full Lupo range

Lower arm ball joints are different. How is it out? Serious positive or negative camber or is the toe?

Edit: Did you change the ball joints?

Yes i put the Lupo S ball joints on the GTI hubs but they are exactly the same. All lupo Ball Joints are the same apparently

Yes i put the Lupo S ball joints on the GTI hubs but they are exactly the same. All lupo Ball Joints are the same apparently

As I said above, they're not. But anyway what is the issue as you still haven't said?? If you changed just the hubs i would assume it was camber. This is adjustable on the hub by the two bolts which connect the strut to the hub. The holes on the hub are elongated, allowing you to move the hub in and out, this is what adjusts the camber.

Edited by chris27

GTI ball joints stick out further to give the slightly wider track that a GTI has.

You'll only get true GTI ball joints from VW as everywhere else seems to think there is only 1 kind, including those for the GTI

I have a set of GTI ball joints that came with the hubs, do you think they'll sort the problem as i've put my old S ball joints on.

The back of the wheels are rubbing on the arches when on full lock, do the GTI ball joints push the wheels further forward with the wider track? I'm guessing it'll be the camber together with the smaller ball joints?

My worry is that the GTI wishbones are different :/

if u havent had the tracking and alignment done yet, then that is most likely your only thing to do, if everything else seems to fit and the car rolls around happily, all is good.

Get it to a garage and get the tracking and alignment sorted there.

The bottom arms are the same (99% sure), but as above the ball joints are wider. If you fitted the gti ball joints it will cause more problems than good as you are bringing the mounting of the hub outwards. This will alter the camber but the toe will be dramatically changed and both front wheels will be aiming outwards as the length of the track rods has not changed. Keep the original s ball joints on and get the wheels correctly aligned by a garage. Remember that the wheel alignment will require doing again if you remove the hubs or fit coilovers etc.

Edited by chris27

I've converted the front hubs, calipers on my Lupo S to Lupo GTI 256 brake set up.

The tracking seems to be well out when driving and the wheels dont seem like they will align

What is different between the standard S set up and the GTI set up? Thought bottom ball joints but apparenatly they are all exactly the same across the full Lupo range

I'm about to do the same conversion, so the way to go is to keep the Lupo S's lower ball joints + the steering ball joints?

Funny thing: Just checked ETKA and the difference between the Lupo S and the GTi's lower ball joints is that the right one from the Lupo S fits on the GTi on the left side, and visa versa....so maybe they are the same just mounted the other

way round.... :wacko:

Edited by DK16V

• 2 years later...

You do realise that the last post was 2 years ago?

Look in Classifieds and on eBay to see of anyone is breaking.

http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=lupo+gti+breaking&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Deeplupo, I've done the full GTi conversion, use your normal standard balljoints otherwise you will need to camber the wheels as the GTi balljoints push the hubs out wider. Get a full geometry check done, camber tracking etc the full works. I did the GTi rear axle too, trying to fit polybushed are a pain in the back side but eventually managed it :P