My 1.8T 20v Conversion

grantmax

Another little update,

no pics again unfortunately as I am at uni while I am writing this.

Got the engine in for the last time (I hope), and started the wiring too!

just compiling the last few bits to get her all back together, hopefully a nice big push in the next couple of weeks as I get paid next week ... woooo!

Hopefully I can grace you with some decent progress photos over the weekend.

Grant.

Had a reasonably productive day yesterday got some of the stuff done that just needed to be done!

got the dash in ... FINALLY! ...

Sevenoaks-20111120-00143.jpg

took a bit of pushing and shoving, it may not all perfectly line up, but hey its character right?!? haha

next thing in is the interior but I think I will wait to chuck that in until nearer the end of the build as knowing my luck I will probably just ruin them some how!

next was fitting the intercooler piping that I had ordered, did realise how small I Woudl have to make the two peicesto make it all fit!

Sevenoaks-20111120-00142.jpg

took longer than it should have, but got it done!

here is a tester just to see if the bump fits around it. Also an idea of what she is gonna look like when she is done!

Sevenoaks-20111120-00141.jpg

puts a smile on my face to know its not too far away that the bumper will be on for good :D

and finally got the brakes on, easiest job of the night!

oh and I also managed to get my linkaged to select the gears!

plans for the next couple of weeks...

- need to adjust the lovley exhaust that steve made as it is clashing with the subframe, however gonna have to wait till the busy boy has a spare minute....

- finish off all the wiring.

- fit and connect the radiator.

- bleed the brakes and clutch :)

peace out!

Grant.

here we have the lower gearbox engine mount... a further work of art from my best mate ...

Sevenoaks-20111027-00104.jpg

and now the REAL art that my friend steve created, a custom exhaust.... thing of beauty! ... i know I couldnt do it!

Sevenoaks-20110910-00043.jpg

Sevenoaks-20110910-00044.jpg

hopefully that will keep you guys amused for a little while ... drive shafts will be measured this weekend ..... but now, its the process of getting eveything together!

over and out!

Grant.

Hey!

Nice to see how it´s coming together!

I thought i might show you som pics of my lower gearbox mount since i thought yours looked a bit week...

d92420111136542e75.jpg

cf24201111420603c8.jpg

And heres a pic of my downpipe in 2,5", might be nice to have something to compare with.

Actually this one is being put away as im going to need a new one for the S3 upgrade...

01242011114459228c.jpg

Edited by Norpan

Hey! Nice to see how it´s coming together! I thought i might show you som pics of my lower gearbox mount since i thought yours looked a bit week... d92420111136542e75.jpg cf24201111420603c8.jpg And heres a pic of my downpipe in 2,5", might be nice to have something to compare with. Actually this one is being put away as im going to need a new one for the S3 upgrade... 01242011114459228c.jpg

nice of you to pop by and have a little look.

Thanks for those pics, I can assure you the lower mount is very strong indeed (if not we will soon find out! ) haha

as for the downpipe mine is all sorted now! ... had a little look at your build thread, seems to be coming along very well!

Hey!

Nice to see how it´s coming together!

I thought i might show you som pics of my lower gearbox mount since i thought yours looked a bit week...

d92420111136542e75.jpg

cf24201111420603c8.jpg

And heres a pic of my downpipe in 2,5", might be nice to have something to compare with.

Actually this one is being put away as im going to need a new one for the S3 upgrade...

01242011114459228c.jpg

You fancy selling the downpipe mate?

Yes it for sale, but i dont know how to send it to UK....

Maybe theres a simple way i dont know really.

PM me and we can discuss it there!

Get his post code and phone a company called Parcel Force. They do Europe :). http://www.parcelforce.com/

Hope this helps :)

This thread is full of win btw, love reading this.

Get his post code and phone a company called Parcel Force. They do Europe :). http://www.parcelforce.com/

Hope this helps :)

This thread is full of win btw, love reading this.

cheers bro!

few very small updates..

got the intercooler all mounting positions sorted ..

Sevenoaks-20111124-00147.jpg

Sevenoaks-20111124-00149.jpg

also got the last mount for the exhaust sorted (forgot to take a pic DOH!)

check out my demon plastic cutting skills, looks almost factory!

Sevenoaks-20111124-00146.jpg

this is just so the intercooler pping doesnt hit and I am able to get the dipstick out.

and cut some holes so the intercooler and breathe!

Sevenoaks-20111124-00145.jpg

also managed to get the brakes bled however little problem that the clutch hose was leaking, so waiting on a custom braided one... yummy!

Thats all folks!

Grant.

Hello everyone!

I have a few updates for you all ...

we planned to start my car this weekend, however my battery was not man enough so I had to buy a new one.

so I did!

Sevenoaks-20111206-00186.jpg

I also got this little puppy in the post.

Sevenoaks-20111206-00187.jpg

also got this and fitted it.

Sevenoaks-20111206-00188.jpg

Sevenoaks-20111206-00189.jpg

soooo I decided to try and start it.

first go... it cuts off cus steve phoned me ... haha

th_VID-20111206-00002.jpg

second go ... it sound a bit rubbish because the starter motor isn't dis-engaging!

th_VID-20111206-00004.jpg

just have to get a new driveshaft as the one we cut was a bit short... few other things to do too. will get there soon people. Hopefully this weekend! ... woooooo!

peace out!

Grant.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for you guys....

- Had to pull the TDI accelerator pedal out and fabricate the 1.8t one in. Just a note for anyone that does try the TDI pedalbox, as it definatley doesnt work!

- Bled my Clutch, so no have an operating clutch

- Changed the Starter motor - the one off the 6 speed box went into the bell housing a bit to far, hence the noise in the video.

Sorry about the lack of picks we finished up at 3am :(.

looking to get the car out of the garage an potentially on the road for xmas eve :) woooo

Just need to get the rear brakes Bled, driveshafts bolts to the gearbox and put the interior in :D.

As I know you ladies and Gentlemen love pictures I thought I would pop in a couple of what me and the guys get upto when we arent working on the car.

firstly, the only one I got of my car last night, thought it cool with the lighting, quality is a bit rubbish due to the fact it is my phone.

Sevenoaks-20111222-00236.jpg

we love tea! ... believe it or not this is about 11.30 on a Saturday night :P

Sevenoaks-20111210-00200.jpg

and one from 2 weeks ago - a bit more of my sleeve :D

TunbridgeWells-20111210-00204.jpg

I will get some pics up this weekend.

- hopefully of the car being driven out of the garage.

seasons greetings everyone!

right , I said I would give you some photos, unfotuntaley it is not of the car driving ( a very very big maybe for tomorrow though) I am having a slight driveshaft problem :(

anyway, I did manage to do this today ..

before..

Sevenoaks-20111224-00238.jpg

Sevenoaks-20111224-00240.jpg

after ....

IMG-20111224-00243.jpg

IMG-20111224-00242.jpg

Sevenoaks-20111224-00244.jpg

hope you like!!

fingers crossed for a christmas miracle!

oh and happy christmas to everyone on CL!

Grant.

an 18T is a very ballsy thing to do and i really do admire you doing it.......

i really am interested in knowing though......are you 100% happy with end result and would you advise it???

cheers bud, have to say I have followed your build and its pretty damn impressive too! .. I hope I can have air one day!

well thats the question I still have some bits to do before I can get her on the road as the CV joints are rubbing on the hubs and my track rods are F***ED

if you are very mechaniclly minded and very capable with a welder I would say dont bother and send it to a company to have it done.

I dont reget it (at least I hope I dont haha) but I dont think I will ever be doing it again, not to a lupo at least, I wont lie its hard work, but I really do think the power will be worth it. just driving it up and down my drive to take pics put a smile opn my face.

if you are gonna tackle it though, just prepare yourself for the pain you are about to get yourself in for haha!

I am amazed that i missed this whole thread, this looks awesome.

cheers bro! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, I know its been a while, I am just tryign to get it all sorted for its debut at ultimate dubs with the club!

a little update, took it for an MOT the other day, unfortunatley she failed on emmisions, we think it s a fault with the lambda so sorting it this week, then have a week to do ALL the detailing before ultimate dubs kids!

keep your fingers crossed for me!

... some pics of the MOT....

TonbridgeandMalling-20120211-00180.jpg

TonbridgeandMalling-20120211-00179.jpg

IMG-20120211-00177.jpg

hopefully see you all at UD!!!!!!!!!!!