Reccommend me a laptop!

JamesU

Right, basically it has to be able to play games at a decent speed...

Currently i have a Compaq CQ56 which i only brought about 3 months ago, but i'll be giving it to my Mrs because her laptop is buggered and i wanna be able to play more games on mine!

Has to be a laptop because im never in the same place for very long! If have a PS3 at home if i wanted that!

I have a £500ish budget i'd say, i've seen this when i was looking for cheap'o laptops and didnt think it was too bad with 4gb RAM and 2.1GHz Dual-Core!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-g56-113sa-dual-core-laptop-with-4gb-memory-black-08702344-pdt.html

I know it needs a decent graphics card too, but i also know in a laptop it ain't always that cheap!

So, needs to be able to run games such as Fifa 11, and new'ish racing games, portal 2 takes my eye too!

Thank you!

I've just messaged you on FB!

I've just seen the same model of mine on t'internet and it reckons i have an ATI Radeon GFX Card, i can never remember ATI being better than NVidia anyway, but i just wanna know if that will definitely run new games at a decent peformance level!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HZG2NI/ref=asc_df_B004HZG2NI2665077?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004HZG2NI

Thats the next model up when i look on ebuyer, but on amazon its cheaper than the original!

Bigger HDD, more RAM, but the GFX card is a tad different, which is better?

Ta!

This is why I never bought into PC gaming. (Ignore the fact I just bought a new £850 PC)

You need to get the most out of your hardware for as long as possible, as I have just found out having to get EVERYTHING updated from my old PC so I can do my coursework. For gaming though its even more frustrating because you look at Battlefield 3, and Elder Scrolls 5 and that is pretty much the two games coming up that will rinse a PC/Laptop etc, so you need the best you can or find out couple months down the line, it will run the games at a meandering pace with neverending graphics card issues.

I would just recommend you get a Lappy with an i7 core chipset in it, as i3's are getting old. i5's are still good but the latest i7 2600k is brilliant.

Yeah i've used ebuyer for a lot of stuff in the past, i just used pc world so i had something to physically look at.

The laptop in the post above yours i saw looks okay, £600 online, £800 in store...

Hopefully looks like it'll happily run F1 2010 and Fifa 11 yes?

I've had my dell for around 3 years (probably closer to 4) and i've got no issues whatsoever. I'd reccomend going on the dell website and going under small business rather than home/personal and there's more choice. Mine has 4gb ram and a 2.1ghz processor and a 1gb nvidia graphics card and cost me around 700 back in the day. Plays all source games easily (half life, counterstrike, portal etc.) and like I say with regular defragmentation and stuff it has not let me down :) I'll be going with dell next time I need a replacement :)

Jake.

I dont think dell are quite as bad as what people make out, I personally wouldnt buy a dell PC but I wouldnt hesitate buying a dell laptop.

I wouldnt buy a PC because from what I remember, you can only use dell Graphics cards etc. . . I'm not sure if thats still the case tho

I dont think dell are quite as bad as what people make out, I personally wouldnt buy a dell PC but I wouldnt hesitate buying a dell laptop.

I wouldnt buy a PC because from what I remember, you can only use dell Graphics cards etc. . . I'm not sure if thats still the case tho

Nah we have 3 in my house and had one before that. My dad uses them at work across the whole of the south-west (Every work supplied laptop is a Dell). One of the reasons I bought Dell is so that if something needed fixing I could have it done at my dads work but I haven't needed to!

I agree about Dell PCs, I think there are better PCs for the money.

Although I think Nvidia and ATI are also available with Dell PCs.

Although I think Nvidia and ATI are also available with Dell PCs.

Thats true, I once got given a dell, one of those that 'opens up on a hinge' you can buy nvidia cards but I think they are specific to dell.

My mate bought a Sony Vaio for £850, i5, 4GB RAM, Win7. Its all in the brand name, you could get much better for cheaper I am thinking, surely.

I just bought myself a XPS 8300 PC off Dell, and the only graphics card available was ATI, which sucks. Already run into issues due to software favouring nVidia.

Oh, also best to look for a Laptop that has Direct x11 compatibility as that's the future!

I bought a Dell nearly 4 years ago. The only thing that I have upgraded is the Graphics Card, which by the way, you can upgrade to anything that you want, as long as you change the PSU so that you have the extra power cable that the more powerful Graphics Cards require. I fitted an ATI Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X when it first came out. The specs of my Dell are STILL up there with the specs of 95% of the stuff in PC World.

I've had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever, and don't see myself needing to upgrade for another couple of years yet. Money well spent in my opinion. When I do upgrade, I'll either custom-build or buy another DELL. Well that or a MAC, I've been trying to like MAC's but I'm still not quite there yet.