Lupo GTI steering wheel retrim (with pics)

sat1983

I am having my steering wheel re-trimmed as my old one was beyond knackered. This guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-M3-Z3-Z3M-M-tech-Alcantara-Steering-Wheel-/290548619348?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a60c1854#ht_3973wt_907

... is fantastic and comes well recommend on many forums and re-trimming wheels better than OEM quality. If you live near oxford you can even drop it off/pick it up when finished and he'll fit the wheel for you.

Sadly I live nowhere near!

Anyhow I love the look and feel of alcantra but the Lupo GTI comes with leather as standard, I dunno wether to stick rigidly to OEM and go leather or go Alcantara. Both with red stitching. Perforated later looks good too!!

Alcantara.jpg

Perforatedleather.jpg

Thickwheel.jpg

I have heard of this guy, he is supposed to be really good.

I would love an alacantra one, but feel it would be too aftermarket and affect resale, so would go for perforated leather

Id agree with what most people on here are saying, bottom two look the best. Not too fussed on the red bit at the top of the wheel (I have no idea of the correct name) When using my steering wheel I am aware where the up right postion is, so I see no need for it.

How odes this work then, get in contact with him and send the old wheel, without the airbag, to him? And would be he able to do I sport wheel?

I have heard of this guy, he is supposed to be really good.

I would love an alacantra one, but feel it would be too aftermarket and affect resale, so would go for perforated leather

Totally agreed- perforated leather with red stitching it is!

How odes this work then, get in contact with him and send the old wheel, without the airbag, to him? And would be he able to do I sport wheel?

Yes and yes! Any wheel I guess! :)

Thats wicked, my wheel is nackerd. Will have to give this guy a shout, Leather for me.

Edited by CJ N

The guy could be interested I'm sure- we'll have to work something out.

Defcon- it can take up to 3 weeks from memory! Do what I do and find yourself a standard wheel for not a lot of ££'s. Or public transport for 3 weeks??! :P

• 2 months later...

How did you get on with your wheel pal?